Sunday, January 24, 2021

Have You Heard of El Elyon?

Meditate:

And Melchizedek, the king of Salem and a priest of God Most High (El Elyon), brought Abram some bread and wine. Melchizedek blessed Abram with this blessing: "Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth. And blessed be God Most High (El Elyon), who has defeated your enemies for you." Then Abram gave Melchizedek a tenth of all the goods he had recovered. Genesis 14:18-20

El Elyon is the Hebrew name for the Most High God. He is the Almighty God, strong, sovereign and supreme—above all.

They remembered that God was their rock, The El `Elyon their redeemer. Psalm 78:35 HNV

This scripture passage from Genesis portrays for me a time of Communion, just like Jesus established in His Last Supper with His disciples during a Passover meal. Melchizedek, a king and priest, who could be a forerunner of Jesus served Abram (later known as Abraham) bread and wine. The same elements that Jesus used when He broke bread and shared the cup with His disciples, declaring that the bread represented His body, broken for mankind, and the cup represented His blood, shed for everyone.

He took some bread and gave thanks to God for it. Then he broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, "This is my body, which is given for you. Do this to remember me." After supper he took another cup of wine and said, "This cup is the new covenant between God and his people—an agreement confirmed with my blood, which is poured out as a sacrifice for you." Luke 22:19-20

David declared that God is the Mighty One in a couple of the Psalms he wrote.

I will praise you, LORD, with all my heart; I will tell of all the marvelous things you have done. I will be filled with joy because of you. I will sing praises to your name, O Most High. Psalm 9:1-2

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy! I look to you for protection. I will hide beneath the shadow of your wings until the danger passes by. I cry out to God Most High (Elohim Elyon), to God who will fulfill his purpose for me. Psalm 57:1-2

Just as David recognized God as the God Most High or Most High God…we can, too. He is certainly above all…and it is to our benefit to be aware that in His power and strength He wins all battles and all His creation will ultimately bow before Him.

All the nations you made will come and bow before you, Lord; they will praise your holy name. For you are great and perform wonderful deeds. You alone are God. Psalm 86:9-10

Prayer ~ Listen closely to my prayer, O LORD; hear my urgent cry. I will call to you whenever I'm in trouble, and you will answer me. No pagan god is like you, O Lord. None can do what you do! Psalm 86:6-8

Verse of Salvation ~ Help us, O God of our salvation! Help us for the glory of your name. Save us and forgive our sins for the honor of your name. Psalm 79:9

© 2021 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 
The Hebrew Names Version HNV is based off the World English Bible, an update of the American Standard Version of 1901. This version of the Bible is in the public domain. 
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Available as an e-book or paperback at Amazon.com

No comments: