Saturday, January 9, 2021

Only God is Good

Meditate on the goodness of God. Do you know God more today than yesterday?


You have done many good things for me, LORD, just as you promised. I believe in your commands; now teach me good judgment and knowledge. I used to wander off until you disciplined me; but now I closely follow your word. You are good and do only good; teach me your decrees. Arrogant people smear me with lies, but in truth I obey your commandments with all my heart. Their hearts are dull and stupid, but I delight in your instructions. My suffering was good for me, for it taught me to pay attention to your decrees. Your instructions are more valuable to me than millions in gold and silver.
Psalm 119:65-72 (Underlined for emphasis.)
 

Jesus was addressed as “Good Teacher” by a rich man. His response included that only God is good.

As Jesus was starting out on his way to Jerusalem, a man came running up to him, knelt down, and asked, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" "Why do you call me good?" Jesus asked. "Only God is truly good." Mark 10:17-18

The instructions from God…from our Lord God, Jesus…are more valuable to me than millions in gold and silver. That must be how that rich man felt…but he didn’t live it. As the story continues Jesus tells him to sell all his belongings, give the money to the poor and follow Him, but he didn’t. He just couldn’t part with his wealth. I’d like to have a yard sale and sell my excess belongings…but with the current rainy weather and the COVID situation there aren’t many yard sales right now. Will Spring and Summer bring us more yard sales? Only time and the edicts of the Governor’s office will tell for sure. Could I actually sell all my belongings as Jesus requested of the rich man? Would you be able to do that? 

One thing we do know…God is Good. "Only God is truly good." I am amazed that the man didn’t connect the “good” in their conversation and realize that Jesus was God. The psalmist writing Pslm 119 recognized the goodness of God. What will it take for people today…for you and for me…to recognize and acknowledge the goodness of God?

Prayer ~ LORD God, as Peter wrote to Christian scattered around the world…But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God's very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light. 1 Peter 2:9. May Your goodness flow in and through me to others around me…bringing them light, with peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, self-control, lov

e, joy and goodness. You alone are good…shining light throughout the nation, the world and the universe. Praise be to You.

Verse of Salvation ~ As Jesus was starting out on his way to Jerusalem, a man came running up to him, knelt down, and asked, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" Mark 10:17

Eternal life is only available through the salvation we receive from Jesus Christ.

 Bible Trivia ~ Last week’s question: What is the Shema?

The scripture passage quoted last Saturday from Deuteronomy 6:4-5 is part of the Shema, a Jewish prayer that is recited every day at a morning and evening prayer times.

Before Jesus time the Jews had already established prayers that were recited each morning and evening known as the Shema. Shema is literally the first word of Deuteronomy 6:4, “hear” or “listen” and it also means pay attention, respond, and obey. Hear and Do the words of the Lord. The Shema includes Deuteronomy 6:4-9 and Deuteronomy 11:13-21. Additionally, Numbers 15:37-41 is said with the morning prayers, but not with the evening prayers. The verses of the Shema are traditionally recited standing in the morning with the tallit or prayer shawl, covering the gentleman’s head. It is worn only in the daylight hours. Women did not wear a tallit. The evening prayer is recited while reclining. Since Jews are strict about their prayers and Jesus was Jewish, He knew and recited the Shema.

The Shema was given to the Israelites by Moses to encourage them to respond to God’s grace and mercy with love, faithfulness and obedience in worship to the one true God. It is the only way to live. No idolatry. Moses further admonished them to teach these values to their children (Deuteronomy 6:7). The Shema is in the Old and New Testaments. Jesus was asked which is the greatest commandment and He responded with “love the Lord your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.” That is the Shema. Also see Revelation 22:4 which says…And they will see his face, and his name will be written on their foreheads. The Shema instructs to bind God’s word onto on our hands and forehead. 

This week’s Trivia Question: What two books in the Christian Bible Old Testament are one book in the Hebrew Bible?

 

© 2021 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Available as an e-book or paperback at Amazon.com



No comments: