Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Remember and Listen to God

Meditate.

Don't let the excitement of youth cause you to forget your Creator. Honor him in your youth before you grow old and say, "Life is not pleasant anymore."

... Remember him before you become fearful of falling and worry about danger in the streets; before your hair turns white like an almond tree in bloom, and you drag along without energy like a dying grasshopper, and the caperberry no longer inspires sexual desire. Remember him before you near the grave, your everlasting home, when the mourners will weep at your funeral. Ecclesiastes 12:1, 5

 

It looks like Solomon is describing an older person here…dare I say “elderly”? Fearful of falling, anxiety, white hair, no energy, near the grave. Yep. That’s an old person. Once someone falls, there is a fear of falling…always. Once someone has faced danger in the street, they worry to the point of anxiety of going out. And no energy. Where did that vim and vigor of youth go? But even when one’s hair turns white, there is no need to forget about God. It is easy to consider that wisdom comes with getting older—but I’m sure we can all think of some older person who was not particularly wise, especially if they were suffering from some form of dementia. Job, in response to his friends, give us some insight on Biblical wisdom.

Wisdom belongs to the aged, and understanding to the old. But true wisdom and power are found in God; counsel and understanding are his. Job 12:12-13

True wisdom is found in God. Have you got God in you? How’s your relationship with Him going these days? If you are regularly reading His word, then it is likely you are growing in wisdom and understanding. Have you started a Bible reading plan for this year? I decided on one that takes me through the Bible in two years, but frankly, I think I need to concentrate on a daily quality read, if even just a few verses, than to try to read a particular quantity every day. Still there is the question as to where to start. You’d think that after having been a Christian for over fifty years I wouldn’t have this dilemma, but I do, so I’m sure there are some of you out there who are struggling with what to read in God’s word today. My advice—to myself and you—is to start. Choose a book and dive in. Read until the Lord speaks to you. Then write down what or how He has impressed that on your heart. Here are some verses of encouragement written to us by God through Solomon.

Gates at the Mount of Beatitudes
Israel
"And so, my children, listen to me, for all who follow my ways are joyful. Listen to my instruction and be wise. Don't ignore it. Joyful are those who listen to me, watching for me daily at my gates, waiting for me outside my home! For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the LORD. But those who miss me injure themselves. All who hate me love death." Proverbs 8:32-36

Remember and listen to God in and through His word…and be blessed, no matter what your age.

 

Prayer ~ Lord God, thank you for Your word. Guide me as I study it throughout this year. Please increase my faith and bless me with Your wisdom…even as my hair grows whiter and I give You the anxieties of my life.

 

Verse of Salvation ~ Dear friends, I had been eagerly planning to write to you about the salvation we all share. But now I find that I must write about something else, urging you to defend the faith that God has entrusted once for all time to his holy people. Jude 1:3

 

Memory Verse of the Week: And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him. Hebrews 11:6

© 2022 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 


Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories (Children’s storybook)

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com


This devotional guides the reader through scripture focusing on the character traits of Jesus. Can you apply those traits to your life, or to those of your children and grandchildren?

No comments: