Thursday, June 3, 2021

What Are You Thinking?

Meditate. Focus your mind on things that are worthy of praise.

Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon. Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me--everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:4-9

What are you thinking about? Where do your thoughts take you?

Paul gave good advice to the church at Philippi.

Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.

When you think about Jesus…about God…about the Holy Spirit…your thoughts will be on what is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely and admirable. God’s ways are excellent and worthy of praise. Having trouble with that? Is your thought life focusing on stress, violence, or on some inappropriate behavior? Pray about what is going on in your life and then spend some extra time with God. Find some scripture…beginning perhaps with these verses above…that help you focus on the good, true and admirable things in life. A good concordance…or one that you can find on-line like in the Blue Letter Bible or Bible Gateway…can help provide you with a resource of helpful scripture passage. Choose a topic and enter the word in the search box. Scriptures will pop up and guide you to passages that will surely encourage and uplift you. Then the God of peace will be with you. 

Prayer ~ Dear God, I want Your peace in my life…and in the lives of my family, friends and neighbors. Guide our hearts and minds that wherever we are we would fix our thoughts on what is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely and admirable—worthy of praise to You…and from You.

Verses of Salvation ~ A psalm of David, the servant of the LORD. He sang this song to the LORD on the day the LORD rescued him from all his enemies and from Saul.

The Rock of my Salvation
Showing me the way to go.

Focus on the admirable things.
He sang: I love you, LORD; you are my strength. The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety. I called on the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and he saved me from my enemies. Psalm 18:1-3


© 2021 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Available as an e-book or paperback at Amazon.com

No comments: