Sunday, June 20, 2021

Honor Your Father

Meditate. How will you honor your father…or his memory?

[Samekh] I hate those with divided loyalties, but I love your instructions. You are my refuge and my shield; your word is my source of hope. Get out of my life, you evil-minded people, for I intend to obey the commands of my God. LORD, sustain me as you promised, that I may live! Do not let my hope be crushed. Sustain me, and I will be rescued; then I will meditate continually on your decrees. But you have rejected all who stray from your decrees. They are only fooling themselves. You skim off the wicked of the earth like scum; no wonder I love to obey your laws! I tremble in fear of you; I stand in awe of your regulations. Psalm 119:113-120

 

Divided loyalties is something that God truly does not like especially if it is associated with mixing idol and God worship.

Oregon Pacific Coast
Are you tossed about like these waves?
But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. James 1:6

You must never set up a wooden Asherah pole beside the altar you build for the LORD your God. And never set up sacred pillars for worship, for the LORD your God hates them. Deuteronomy 16:21-22

It’s easy to get caught up in a form of idol worship…like putting a TV program before “God” time. What matters most to you in life…food, sports, YouTube, Netflix, Prime or some other TV program, electronics, travel, your appearance, clothes, shoes, cars, motorcycles, toys, books, comics, or God? How we spend our time generally shows our devotion and what is really important to us. Today, Father’s Day, the important thing should be to honor our fathers. That can begin with honoring our Heavenly Father, too. Solomon reminds us of what is import to God and family in these passages in Proverbs.

There are six things the LORD hates—no, seven things he detests: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that kill the innocent, a heart that plots evil, feet that race to do wrong, a false witness who pours out lies, a person who sows discord in a family. Proverbs 6:16-19

 

My son, obey your father’s commands, and don’t neglect your mother’s instruction. Keep their words always in your heart. Tie them around your neck. When you walk, their counsel will lead you. When you sleep, they will protect you. When you wake up, they will advise you. For their command is a lamp and their instruction a light; their corrective discipline is the way to life. Proverbs 6:20-23

God instructed Moses to have the Israelites honor their parents. It is the first commandment after how we are to honor God first in our lives…and it is the only commandment with a promise. Additionally, there were strict…death…results if a person didn’t honor their parents.

Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the LORD your God is giving you. Exodus 20:12

For instance, God says, 'Honor your father and mother,' and 'Anyone who speaks disrespectfully of father or mother must be put to death.' Matthew 15:4

How are you showing respect and honor to your father today?

Prayer ~ Lord, help me to honor my father…and my mother…today. 

Verse of Salvation ~ Help us, O God of our salvation! Help us for the glory of your name. Save us and forgive our sins for the honor of your name. Psalm 79:9



© 2021 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Available as an e-book or paperback at Amazon.com

No comments: