Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Do You Need to Be Revived?

Meditate. Meditate on God’s wonderful deeds.

ד[Daleth] I lie in the dust; revive me by your word. I told you my plans, and you answered. Now teach me your decrees. Help me understand the meaning of your commandments, and I will meditate on your wonderful deeds. I weep with sorrow; encourage me by your word. Keep me from lying to myself; give me the privilege of knowing your instructions. I have chosen to be faithful; I have determined to live by your regulations. I cling to your laws. LORD, don't let me be put to shame! I will pursue your commands, for you expand my understanding. Psalm 119:25-32

This section of Psalm 119 begins with the fifth letter of the Hebrew alphabet, Daleth, so that each stanza begins, repetitiously, with the symbol ד known as daleth. 

Ezra, the author, seems to be pretty miserable here. He came back from Babylon to Jerusalem to rebuild the Temple which had been destroyed when the Babylonians invaded Jerusalem, taking most of the inhabitants captive. The Temple, as well as the other buildings and homes, and the walls that surrounded the city were in rubble. It is not unusual that Ezra would say he was lying in the dust. The city of Jerusalem was a pile of ruins, weeds, brabbles and…dust. Ezra had been a scribe (see Ezra 7:1-13) and a priest in Babylon, so he was not used to manual labor. He just really wanted to see the Temple reconstructed and to teach the Jewish people about their God.

This Ezra was a scribe who was well versed in the Law of Moses, which the LORD, the God of Israel, had given to the people of Israel. He came up to Jerusalem from Babylon, and the king gave him everything he asked for, because the gracious hand of the LORD his God was on him. ... This was because Ezra had determined to study and obey the Law of the LORD and to teach those decrees and regulations to the people of Israel. Ezra 7:6, 10

He wanted to know God’s laws, but more than that he wanted to understand the meaning of those commandments, to obediently live by them and to teach them to the Israelites. Many of the Israelites who had been born during captivity in Babylon had not been taught or followed all of the Jewish laws. The rebuilding of the Temple was critical to the continued growth of the Jewish nation. Now here was one of their key teachers…in the dust, wanting to be revived by God. Do you sometimes feel that same way…wanting to be revived or to have your relationship with the Lord revived? God’s word revives those who seek Him. Restores, renews, and even resuscitates. Without Him…without His word in my life I am a sad, even to the point of depressed, waif. Seeking God, I find Him and He brings joy to my life. If only I can remember to do that on a regular basis…seek Him and find Him in His word. Instant revival.

God's word is a key to renewal in my live.



Prayer ~ Lord God, Won't you revive us again, so your people can rejoice in you? Show us your unfailing love, O LORD, and grant us your salvation. I listen carefully to what God the LORD is saying, for he speaks peace to his faithful people. But let them not return to their foolish ways. Surely his salvation is near to those who fear him, so our land will be filled with his glory. Psalm 85:6-9 

Verse of Salvation ~ Turn us again to yourself, O LORD God of Heaven's Armies. Make your face shine down upon us. Only then will we be saved. Psalm 80:19


© 2021 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Available as an e-book or paperback at Amazon.com


No comments: