Saturday, June 12, 2021

Trust God to Bless You

Meditate. What is your level of obedience to the Lord?

ח  [Heth] LORD, you are mine! I promise to obey your words! With all my heart I want your blessings. Be merciful as you promised. I pondered the direction of my life, and I turned to follow your laws. I will hurry, without delay, to obey your commands. Evil people try to drag me into sin, but I am firmly anchored to your instructions. I rise at midnight to thank you for your just regulations. I am a friend to anyone who fears you--anyone who obeys your commandments. O LORD, your unfailing love fills the earth; teach me your decrees. Psalm 119:57-64 

Heth or kheh-t is a guttural sound that we don’t have in the English language. It is a sound that someone might make when they are clearing their throat. Can you imagine that sound in words that describe obedience to God?

In this Psalm Ezra is again appealing to God for blessing and mercy as he professes to obey God’s words and commands. Blessing—make me happy, Lord. He seems to be saying, “I’m following Your ways, Lord, so be compassionate and merciful to me.” Is that what it takes to get God’s attention and be blessed by Him? If that was all it takes, then I think there’s be a lot more obedience and people would be spending a lot more time on their knees. I’m good…so give me this…and give me that. But that is not how it works. But you may say…Jesus told us to ask for whatever we need in His name and we’ll get it.

At that time you won't need to ask me for anything. I tell you the truth, you will ask the Father directly, and he will grant your request because you use my name. You haven't done this before. Ask, using my name, and you will receive, and you will have abundant joy. John 16:23-24

Don't be crabby.
Be content. 
Be happy.
Be blessed.


Ask. Build your relationship with the Lord.

Consider what your plans are for the future. What will you be doing in five years? Like Ezra, I pondered the direction of my life, and I turned to follow your laws. I’m in those latter years of my life—but I still feel that it is important to have goals. Without goals you get where you want to be…NO WHERE! So have some goals for your life. Spiritual goals—

1.      What would you like to accomplish spiritually this year?

2.      What attitude or habit needs to change?

3.      How would you like God to use you?

4.      What ministry could utilize your unique gifts?

5.      What ministry could benefit from your leadership?

6.      What level of intimacy would you like to have with God?

7.      What friend would you like to lead to Christ?

8.      Who do you want to be your mentor…and who do you want to mentor?

Trust God to bless you as you seek and serve Him.

Prayer ~ Open my eyes Lord to see just how You want me to live…and please do bless me, not for my obedience, but for my love for You.

Verse of Salvation ~ For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin and results in salvation. There's no regret for that kind of sorrow. But worldly sorrow, which lacks repentance, results in spiritual death. 2 Corinthians 7:10 

Bible Trivia Answer to the Question ~ What does it mean to be “blessed”?

To be blessed is to be happy. Some translations translate the blesses as “blessed” or happy.

God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs. God blesses those who mourn, for they will be comforted. God blesses those who are humble, for they will inherit the whole earth. God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice, for they will be satisfied. God blesses those who are merciful, for they will be shown mercy. God blesses those whose hearts are pure, for they will see God. God blesses those who work for peace, for they will be called the children of God. God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs. God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers. Be happy about it! Be very glad! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, the ancient prophets were persecuted in the same way. Matthew 5:3-12

God wants us to be content…to be happy with our life. Paul wrote about being content with his life. He is a good example for us…be happy…be content with where we are in life and with what God has provided us.

How I praise the Lord that you are concerned about me again. I know you have always been concerned for me, but you didn't have the chance to help me. Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippians 4:10-13

Bible Trivia Question for next week ~ Who will see Jesus when He comes again? Who will bow down to Him?

 © 2021 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Available as an e-book or paperback at Amazon.com

No comments: