Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Walking a Happy Path

Meditate. Be reassured of God’s promises.

ה[He] Teach me your decrees, O LORD; I will keep them to the end. Give me understanding and I will obey your instructions; I will put them into practice with all my heart. Make me walk along the path of your commands, for that is where my happiness is found. Give me an eagerness for your laws rather than a love for money! Turn my eyes from worthless things, and give me life through your word. Reassure me of your promise, made to those who fear you. Help me abandon my shameful ways; for your regulations are good. I long to obey your commandments! Renew my life with your goodness. Psalm 119:33-40

Reassure me of your promise…Renew my life with your goodness. Great things for Ezra to ask of the Lord in this passage of scripture where Ezra continues to plead with the Lord for understanding.

The Hebrew letter He, hay, or heh-y is the sixth letter of their alphabet. Ezra wrote each stanza in this section to start with that He letter. It is essential to note that Hebrew is read from right to left so that each word begins on the right with the sound of the word beginning with the letter to the furthest right.

For example: שמע which sounds like sheh/MA is “hear” as in “Hear O Israel”

                ש is the shee-n or see-n with the sound of sheh
                מ is mehm with the sound of MA
                ע is AH/yee-n and is silent.

When I tried using an on-line translator to translate some of the key words in this passage from Psalm 119 they did not appear to begin with any association to the He letter, ה. Bible translation is not an easy task! I really admire those who can do that--trained and inspired.

We can only trust that the true Bible translators associated with our many translations were proficient in their interpretation, transformation and paraphrasing of God’s words. Like Ezra we can ask God to…turn my eyes from worthless things, and give me life through your word. Give me life! When I think about God giving us life…I think about eternal life, but here it could be just a renewed life that sees things through God’s eyes…the good….

And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Philippians 4:8

Take the path that leads to God.
Take someone along with you.
Kim & Amelia - hiking Badger Mt.


God sees everything—but He turns away from the cursed and evil things of this world and likewise wants us to focus on the good, pure and admirable things, too. He wants us to be holy just like He is. He wants us to walk along the path of His commands. The narrow path of holiness and righteousness. Can you enter into your relationship today with holiness in your thoughts and heart? Walking a happy path is a good thing to do!

Prayer ~ Lord God, reassure me of Your promise, made to those who fear you. Help me abandon my shameful ways; for Your regulations are good. I long to obey Your commandments! Renew my life with Your goodness. Psalm 119:38-40. I praise You…and long for Your return, Jesus. Revive me, Lord, especially today. Fill me with Your joy as I celebrate life and love.

Verses of Salvation ~ Now restore us again, O God of our salvation. Put aside your anger against us once more. Will you be angry with us always? Will you prolong your wrath to all generations? Won't you revive us again, so your people can rejoice in you? Psalm 85:4-6


© 2021 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Available as an e-book or paperback at Amazon.com

No comments: