Monday, June 14, 2021

Can You See Joy?

Meditate. Can you see joy in distress or delight?

י[Yodh] You made me; you created me. Now give me the sense to follow your commands. May all who fear you find in me a cause for joy, for I have put my hope in your word. I know, O LORD, that your regulations are fair; you disciplined me because I needed it. Now let your unfailing love comfort me, just as you promised me, your servant. Surround me with your tender mercies so I may live, for your instructions are my delight. Bring disgrace upon the arrogant people who lied about me; meanwhile, I will concentrate on your commandments. Let me be united with all who fear you, with those who know your laws. May I be blameless in keeping your decrees; then I will never be ashamed. Psalm 119:73-80

Yoda. Sound like that wise character in the Star Wars movie. Or it could sound like Yadah…used in the Bible to express praise, give thanks or confess. At any rate Yodh produces the Y sound as in English words: yes, you, yours, pay and maya. Are there words that you can think of that begin with Y with which you can use to describe God or your relationship to Him? Consider: Yesterday - He was in your yesterdays…just like He’ll be in your tomorrows. Yield – we must yield our lives to Him. You – You are nothing without the Lord. Yeast – yeast represents sin and in Christ there is no sin.

I have a cause for joy. My sins are forgiven and Jesus is Lord of my life. Just like in the song Joyful, Joyful. I adore You, Lord.

Joyful, joyful we adore You / God of glory and Lord of love / Hearts unfold like flowers before You / opening to the sun above.

Not all days are filled with joy, that is when I seek God’s unfailing love for comfort, mercy and strength. I find that in the word of God. It is there I have learned that He is worthy of praise. My hope is to be blameless and unashamed as I continue to seek and serve the Lord. He fills me with joy—regardless of my circumstances. I don’t have to “be happy” to have joy. Joy can come even with tears, sadness or difficulties.

But as for me, I will sing about your power. Each morning I will sing with joy about your unfailing love. For you have been my refuge, a place of safety when I am in distress. Psalm 59:16

Prayer ~ O my Strength, to you I sing praises, for you, O God, are my refuge, the God who shows me unfailing love. Psalm 59:17. Give me sense to follow Your commands.

Verses of Salvation ~ For I am not ashamed of this Good News about Christ. It is the power of God at work, saving everyone who believes--the Jew first and also the Gentile. This Good News tells us how God makes us right in his sight. This is accomplished from start to finish by faith. As the Scriptures say, "It is through faith that a righteous person has life." Romans 1:16-17


© 2021 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.
Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Available as an e-book or paperback at Amazon.com

No comments: