Monday, June 21, 2021

Are You Blessed with Discernment?

Meditate. Do you love God's word?

ΧΆ   [Ayin] Don't leave me to the mercy of my enemies, for I have done what is just and right. Please guarantee a blessing for me. Don't let the arrogant oppress me! My eyes strain to see your rescue, to see the truth of your promise fulfilled. I am your servant; deal with me in unfailing love, and teach me your decrees. Give discernment to me, your servant; then I will understand your laws. LORD, it is time for you to act, for these evil people have violated your instructions. Truly, I love your commands more than gold, even the finest gold. Each of your commandments is right. That is why I hate every false way. Psalm 119:121-128 (Underlined for emphasis.)

Are you blessed with discernment? Do you understand God’s laws, commands, and guidance in such a way that you can judge issues and apply God’s word? It is a discerning person who can wisely see God’s truth when others cannot. It is a true gift of the Spirit.

I do love God’s word…His commands more than gold, even the finest gold. I’m not much of a jewelry wearer…but I do have some favorite rings and earrings that I cherish. One ring that I got in Israel has scripture on it…a favorite one to which I often cling. “I will never leave you or forsake you.” It is found in several places in the Bible, including Deuteronomy 31:8 and Hebrews 13:5. The New Living Translation uses “abandon” instead of “forsake”…but it is still the same assurance. God won’t neglect us.

Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you." Deuteronomy 31:8

That gives me such a feeling of hope and encouragement. The Almighty One…our powerful God…the creator…the resurrected Savior…the ultimate Judge…cares about me!

I feel the same way about God…and my husband. After I got my scripture ring, I felt convicted that I needed to tell God that I would “never leave” Him or “forsake” Him…and then I felt the need to express the same thing to my husband. My pledge to him…“I will never leave you or forsake you.” We’ve spent nearly forty-nine years together—that is a great milestone! I’ve lots of friends who have had fifty years together…or soon will have that. Other friends and associates just didn't make it in their marriages. With the divorce rate statistics of 40% in 1972 and only 27% now (according to the CDC vital statistics of the Public Health Service), many of us have done well with our commitment to each other. In my family I feel blessed. It could have turned out very disappointing…but faithful, wise discernment on our parts has kept God in our marriage…and in our family. That is the key.

Prayer ~ Lord God, thank you for blessing us and for Your promise to never leave us or forsake us. You are an awesome God…always worthy of our praise and adoration. I confess to You that life hasn’t always been easy…and I’ve made some poor choices along the way…but You’ve blessed me anyway. As David wrote… “The LORD is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving." Psalm 28:7

Verse of Salvation ~ The LORD gives his people strength. He is a safe fortress for his anointed king. Save your people! Bless Israel, your special possession. Lead them like a shepherd, and carry them in your arms forever. Psalm 28:8-9

Save all your followers, Lord…and bless Israel in this time of distress…and always.


© 2021 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Available as an e-book or paperback at Amazon.com

Help your children and grandchildren become more like Jesus.




No comments: