Monday, June 7, 2021

Open My Eyes to See the Wonderful Truths

Meditate. Consider if you open your eyes, ears and heart to God’s word.

ג‎   [Gimel or GHEE] Be good to your servant, that I may live and obey your word. Open my eyes to see the wonderful truths in your instructions. I am only a foreigner in the land. Don't hide your commands from me! I am always overwhelmed with a desire for your regulations. You rebuke the arrogant; those who wander from your commands are cursed. Don't let them scorn and insult me, for I have obeyed your laws. Even princes sit and speak against me, but I will meditate on your decrees. Your laws please me; they give me wise advice. Psalm 119:17-24

The third letter in the Hebrew alphabet is ghee. In this portion of Psalm 119 all the stanzas, each verse, begins with the letter ghee. We lose that repetitious effect with translation into English, but we are still able to understand this scripture…and to realize that things have not changed in over two thousand years. We still meditate on God’s word, seek to understand and obey it, and value the wise advice that is provided in those words. 

The great Temple 
Destroyed by the Babylons in about 586 BC.
Ezra came to Jerusalem to reuild the Temple.
This is a model of old Jerusalem...in Jerusalem now.

Destroyed again in 70 AD.
Will it ever be rebuilt again?

Interestingly, almost all of Psalm 119 is addressed to the Lord. You can see in this section that the author, presumably Ezra, is pleading and requesting of God to open his eyes to understanding His truth and instructions. He speaks of being a foreigner, so this cannot have been written by David, as he was not a foreigner. Ezra could have been considered a foreigner, since he came out of captivity in Babylon to Jerusalem. 

Do we sometimes feel like a foreigner in this land…this planet Earth? Our home will ultimately be Heaven—so we are strangers in this strange land. Just waiting for our Savior to come and take us home! God’s word has given this Psalm's author and us wise advice. Meditate and be prepared. We should know God’s word and be prepared for what He has in store for us in the coming days. The only way we can really know that is to read God’s word for ourselves. Listening to someone talk about God’s end days on YouTube is definitely interesting and captivating, but we need to study it for ourselves. I’m “preaching to the choir” here…talking to myself. I know that I need to dig deeper into God’s word and meditate on it after asking God to open my eyes to see the wonderful truths in His instructions. Does this section of scripture stir your heart and leave you convicted with a desire for God to open your eyes to the truths in His word?

Prayer ~ God, I know that Your ears and eyes are open to hearing and seeing all that I do and say. Open my eyes to not only see Your words and instructions, but to see how I can intentionally apply them to my life…serving those around me, loving them for You.

Verses of Salvation ~ I love the LORD because he hears my voice and my prayer for mercy. Because he bends down to listen, I will pray as long as I have breath! Death wrapped its ropes around me; the terrors of the grave overtook me. I saw only trouble and sorrow. Then I called on the name of the LORD: "Please, LORD, save me!" How kind the LORD is! How good he is! So merciful, this God of ours! The LORD protects those of childlike faith; I was facing death, and he saved me. Let my soul be at rest again, for the LORD has been good to me. He has saved me from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling. Psalm 116:1-8


© 2021 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character


Available as an e-book or paperback at Amazon.com

No comments: