Friday, June 18, 2021

Sweet Words – Sweet Fragrance

Meditate. Are you sweet smelling to those around you?

מ  [Mem] Oh, how I love your instructions! I think about them all day long. Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are my constant guide. Yes, I have more insight than my teachers, for I am always thinking of your laws. I am even wiser than my elders, for I have kept your commandments. I have refused to walk on any evil path, so that I may remain obedient to your word. I haven't turned away from your regulations, for you have taught me well. How sweet your words taste to me; they are sweeter than honey. Your commandments give me understanding; no wonder I hate every false way of life. Psalm 119:97-104


Sweet words. Have you ever tasted sweet words…or bitter words? Compare and contrast these scriptures about sweet and bitter words. Have either of those ever come from your mouth?

Kind words are like honey--sweet to the soul and healthy for the body. Proverbs 16:24

 

O God, listen to my complaint. Protect my life from my enemies' threats. Hide me from the plots of this evil mob, from this gang of wrongdoers. They sharpen their tongues like swords and aim their bitter words like arrows. They shoot from ambush at the innocent, attacking suddenly and fearlessly. They encourage each other to do evil and plan how to set their traps in secret. "Who will ever notice?" they ask. Psalm 64:1-5

What can you do to make sure that your words are the kind, sweet words that honor God and yourself?

Pray? Think before you speak? Look at some scripture about controling your mouth (example James 1:26). Bridle your tongue.

Prayer ~ Lord God, help me to think before I speak…and to honor You in all that I think, say and do. As Paul prayed for the Colossians, I pray for my family, friends and those reading this blog…

So we have not stopped praying for you since we first heard about you. We ask God to give you complete knowledge of his will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding. Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit. All the while, you will grow as you learn to know God better and better. We also pray that you will be strengthened with all his glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need. May you be filled with joy, always thanking the Father. He has enabled you to share in the inheritance that belongs to his people, who live in the light. Colossians 1:9-12

Verse of Salvation ~ But thank God! He has made us his captives and continues to lead us along in Christ's triumphal procession. Now he uses us to spread the knowledge of Christ everywhere, like a sweet perfume. Our lives are a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God. But this fragrance is perceived differently by those who are being saved and by those who are perishing. To those who are perishing, we are a dreadful smell of death and doom. But to those who are being saved, we are a life-giving perfume. And who is adequate for such a task as this? 2 Corinthians 2:14-16

Are you a sweet-smelling fragrance to those around you?

Friday’s Feasting at the King’s Table

We can’t live on bread alone.

What is your favorite meal of the day…and what do you like to eat? I’ve been trying to do the 16/8 Food Limiting Times (FTL) to restrict my food intake and thus loose weight. One of my brothers has been very successful with this fasting food routine and has lost 70—that’s right seventy—pounds. He looks and feels great. For both of us breakfast is an important meal of the day and we’ve found that just eating it four to ten hours later than usual is still good. Now mind you, I am NOT eating my favorite blueberry pancakes with peanut butter! Eggs are healthy and one of those when I am breaking my fast time is tasty whether it is fried, scrambled or in an omelet. Omelets are great when they include bacon, asparagus, spinach, mushrooms and cheese, even goat cheese. Add a little pesto on top and I’ve got such a wonderful meal that just thinking about it makes my mouth water. So what is on your plate as you begin breaking your fast—whether 8 or 18 hours? What do your scales tell you that you need to do today? Eat hearty or push yourself away from the table?  Maybe my arms will get stronger as I push myself away from the table more often!?

© 2021 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.


Not just for parents...or children! Get into God's word daily.

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Available as an e-book or paperback at Amazon.com

No comments: