Thursday, August 25, 2022

Who Is Worthy of Praise

Prayer – Lord, thank you that You give me strength day by day to do the things I need to do and face the “enemies” in my life, even if it is just anxiety. Don’t worry. That is what You told us. Cast all our cares upon You. Your are worthy…of our praise and adoration. Thank you for rescuing us, Lord. I love You. 

I love you, LORD; you are my strength. The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety. I called on the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and he saved me from my enemies. ... God's way is perfect. All the LORD's promises prove true. He is a shield for all who look to him for protection. For who is God except the LORD? Who but our God is a solid rock? God arms me with strength, and he makes my way perfect. He makes me as surefooted as a deer, enabling me to stand on mountain heights. He trains my hands for battle; he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow. You have given me your shield of victory. Your right hand supports me; your help has made me great. You have made stop until they were conquered. I struck them down so they could not get up; they fell beneath my feet. You have armed me with strength for the battle; you have subdued my enemies under my feet. ...The LORD lives! Praise to my Rock! May the God of my salvation be exalted! He is the God who pays back those who harm me; he subdues the nations under me and rescues me from my enemies. You hold me safe beyond the reach of my enemies; you save me from violent opponents. For this, O LORD, I will praise you among the nations; I will sing praises to your name. Psalm 18:1-3, 30-39, 46-49 (Read all of Psalm 18.)

 

Meditate. Consider God’s protection and promises.

 

David sang this song to the Lord on the day that the Lord delivered him from his enemies and the hand of Saul, who was wanting to destroy him. It was written after Saul died. You can read about that story in along with the history of David’s reign as king in 2 Samuel.

 

This is a long Psalm with 50 verses total, making it the fourth longest in the book of Psalms. Parts of it are repeated in 2 Samuel 22. David was praising the Lord for rescuing him from his enemies, especially king Saul. In this Psalm David focuses on loving God and God loving him. Security, protection, and strength. Those are promises that God has given David and us. God did rescue David from his enemies…and He will same for us.

 

But who are your enemies? A war that is being fought now on the other side of the world pits Russia against the Ukraine, with whom we side. Then there is the China and Taiwan conflict that has not come to actual fighting yet, but the United States has made it clear that we are supporting Taiwan in their efforts to stay independent. That makes China and Russia our enemies—but not the same way that David and Saul were enemies. Enemies that we can identify closer to home involve the drug wars and racial unrest that divides our country within itself. Each of us have our own enemies whether it is a driver with road rage on the highway, a conflict with a neighbor, or even our own attitudes and feelings that can overpower and overwhelm us deep within our very soul. How can we deal with our enemies? David went to God in prayer pleading for His help. We can do the same. Jesus instructed His disciples, followers, and all the people of the cities where His disciples had ministered.

Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light." Matthew 11:28-30

I find rest for my soul
...mediating on God word
...while I kayak on the Columbia River.
Praise - Peace - Revive My Soul

Rest for your souls…rest from your enemies. Praise be to God. The words near the end of this Psalm (v.46) have been made into a praise chorus that many churches sing regularly in the KJV…The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and let the God of my salvation be exalted. Psalm 18:46 KJV. Exalt—Praise—Acclaim—Revere. Sing praises to the King of kings, Lord of lords. Jesus our Savior. I will sing praises to Your Name, Lord Jesus. Blessed be my Rock.

 

Verse of Salvation ~ The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and let the God of my salvation be exalted. Psalm 18:46 KJV

 

Memory Verse of the Week ~ For the LORD watches over the path of the godly, but the path of the wicked leads to destruction. Psalm 1:6

 

© 2022 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

The Authorized Version or King James Version (KJV), 1611, 1769.
Outside of the United Kingdom, the KJV is in the public domain. Within the United Kingdom, the rights to the KJV are vested in the Crown.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: