Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Do You Use the Lord’s Name in Vain?

Prayer – Lord, it offends me when people use Your name in vain. That’s one of the big Ten that You don’t want people to do…and yet it is so common. Why is that? Is it a learned habit? I would like to think that they really don’t want to offend You…but maybe they just don’t care. You know their hearts. I cannot judge others. I’ve slipped along the path many times—but You have been gracious to me and cleaned up my mouth…bridled my tongue. Thank You.

“He loved to curse others; now you curse him. He never blessed others; now don't you bless him. Cursing is as natural to him as his clothing, or the water he drinks, or the rich food he eats. Now may his curses return and cling to him like clothing; may they be tied around him like a belt." May those curses become the LORD's punishment for my accusers who speak evil of me. But deal well with me, O Sovereign LORD, for the sake of your own reputation! Rescue me because you are so faithful and good. For I am poor and needy, and my heart is full of pain. I am fading like a shadow at dusk; I am brushed off like a locust. My knees are weak from fasting, and I am skin and bones. ... Then let them curse me if they like, but you will bless me! When they attack me, they will be disgraced! But I, your servant, will go right on rejoicing! May my accusers be clothed with disgrace; may their humiliation cover them like a cloak. But I will give repeated thanks to the LORD, praising him to everyone. For he stands beside the needy, ready to save them from those who condemn them. Psalm 109:17-24, 28-31

(Psalm 109 is too long to print all of it here. Read it for yourself in your favorite translation.)

 

Meditate.

 

David was seeking, once again, God’s mercy—His help against David’s enemies. David must have had a miserable life with all his prayers to God for His help! Here in this Psalm, David is pleading with God against those who are cursing. Cursing is common these days among non-Christians. I guess that is one way we can easily tell the Christians from the non-Christians. Their foul mouths give them away. I do find their cursing and swearing obscene and disrespectful to our Lord, but I don’t want to offend anyone—especially some stranger in Home Depot, so I don’t usually let them know how rude they are. Actually, by speaking to them, I would be just as rude. It really depends on the situation. Sometimes I do speak up and stand up for God. It doesn’t sound like David is standing up to his accusers…to those who would be offending God Himself. Where do you stand on this issue? Do you use the Lord’s name in vain?

 

Verse of Salvation ~ But you, dear friends, must build each other up in your most holy faith, pray in the power of the Holy Spirit, and await the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will bring you eternal life. In this way, you will keep yourselves safe in God's love. Jude 1:20-21

 

Memory Verse of the Week ~ Dear friends, let us continue to love one another, for love comes from God. Anyone who loves is a child of God and knows God. But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love. 1 John 4:7-8

 

It is November – consider daily: What are you Thankful for today?

 

Happy Birthday Blessings, Brother Barry.

 

© 2022 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: