Thursday, November 3, 2022

Choose Darkness or Light

Prayer – Lord, I don’t want to make You mad…to make You angry with me. May my actions be pleasing to You. Open my eyes to see and understand You---don’t leave me in the dark.

O LORD, God of my salvation, I cry out to you by day. I come to you at night. Now hear my prayer; listen to my cry. For my life is full of troubles, and death draws near. I am as good as dead, like a strong man with no strength left. They have left me among the dead, and I lie like a corpse in a grave. I am forgotten, cut off from your care. You have thrown me into the lowest pit, into the darkest depths. Your anger weighs me down; with wave after wave you have engulfed me. You have driven my friends away by making me repulsive to them. I am in a trap with no way of escape. My eyes are blinded by my tears. Each day I beg for your help, O LORD; I lift my hands to you for mercy. Are your wonderful deeds of any use to the dead? Do the dead rise up and praise you? Can those in the grave declare your unfailing love? Can they proclaim your faithfulness in the place of destruction? Can the darkness speak of your wonderful deeds? Can anyone in the land of forgetfulness talk about your righteousness? O LORD, I cry out to you. I will keep on pleading day by day. O LORD, why do you reject me? Why do you turn your face from me? I have been sick and close to death since my youth. I stand helpless and desperate before your terrors. Your fierce anger has overwhelmed me. Your terrors have paralyzed me. They swirl around me like floodwaters all day long. They have engulfed me completely. You have taken away my companions and loved ones. Darkness is my closest friend. Psalm 88:1-18

 

Meditate. How do you feel about darkness?

 

Hello darkness, my old friend/I’ve come to talk with you again…. Lyrics from the Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfield’s popular 1964 song. Darkness.  

 

Darkness or Light?
The Choice is yours.
Choose wisely.
The Psalmist is feeling pretty low—near death. Discouraged. Dejected. Dark. Have you ever felt that low? He cries out to the Lord for help and asks if those in the grave, the dead, or those in hell can praise the Lord? There is no answer here from the Psalmist nor from God, but when life ends in our mortal bodies there is no further communication. No choices to be made. The Psalmist is in the dark. We would be in the same darkness, except that we have the promise from Light of the World to guide, protect, and save us.

Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, "I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won't have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life." John 8:12

No walking in darkness for those who believe in Jesus as their Savior. To claim Jesus as your savior, you merely need to acknowledge that like everyone, you are a sinner, but you can repent, believe, and walk in the light. Darkness no longer has to be your friend—now, your friend, the light of the world will lead you—and me. The choice is yours. Choose darkness or light.

 

Verses of Salvation ~ [Does salvation (justice) elude you?] So there is no justice among us, and we know nothing about right living. We look for light but find only darkness. We look for bright skies but walk in gloom. We grope like the blind along a wall, feeling our way like people without eyes. Even at brightest noontime, we stumble as though it were dark. Among the living, we are like the dead. We growl like hungry bears; we moan like mournful doves. We look for justice, but it never comes. We look for rescue, but it is far away from us. For our sins are piled up before God and testify against us. Yes, we know what sinners we are. We know we have rebelled and have denied the LORD. We have turned our backs on our God. We know how unfair and oppressive we have been, carefully planning our deceitful lies. Isaiah 59:9-13

 

Memory Verse of the Week ~ Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you your heart's desires. Psalm 37:4

 

© 2022 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: