Thursday, November 24, 2022

Are You a Glutton?

Prayer – Lord, show me in Your word how I can please You, not just today, but every day. I’m so thankful for all that You have done for me…after all You saved me from my sins...just as if I’d never sinned. No other god can claim that. You alone are my God and my Savior. Now that I am saved, the Holy Spirit is guiding me—renewing my mind so that I can please You in whatever I do. Thank you! 

How many desserts will you have today?
Are you a glutton?
Happy Thanksgiving!
Give thanks to the Lord...for He is good!

Praise the LORD! I will thank the LORD with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the LORD! All who delight in him should ponder them. Everything he does reveals his glory and majesty. His righteousness never fails. He causes us to remember his wonderful works. How gracious and merciful is our LORD! He gives food to those who fear him; he always remembers his covenant. He has shown his great power to his people by giving them the lands of other nations. All he does is just and good, and all his commandments are trustworthy. They are forever true, to be obeyed faithfully and with integrity. He has paid a full ransom for his people. He has guaranteed his covenant with them forever. What a holy, awe-inspiring name he has! Fear of the LORD is the foundation of true wisdom. All who obey his commandments will grow in wisdom. Praise him forever! Psalm 111:1-10

 

Meditate. Consider God’s guarantee.

 

This psalm, like many others, is done as an acrostic with each line starting next letter in the Hebrew alphabet. Since that doesn’t translate into English resulting in an alphabetical acrostic. The message gives us a wonderful reminder of the Lord’s attributes and on this Thanksgiving Day in the United States. It points out how God gives food to those who respect Him. Lots of people today are depending on God to provide their holiday meal. Lines are long at the food giveaway distribution sites. People are hungry…although most of us are so blessed and well fed. An overabundance of food—resulting in weight gain. Gluttony. That is a sin. Jesus was accused of being a glutton by the Pharisees. But He wasn’t one to overeat…just accused being indulgent with sinners. I praise Him…even if He was accused of being a glutton. He was sinless…so He is no glutton.

 

He wrote the Commandments—and they are good and true. Just a part of Him. I want to obey them…and please the Lord…in all that I think say and do. How about you? Do you want to please God? Or will you be satisfied to become a glutton?

 

Verse of Salvation ~ For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin and results in salvation. There's no regret for that kind of sorrow. But worldly sorrow, which lacks repentance, results in spiritual death. 2 Corinthians 7:10

 

Memory Verse of the Week ~ Dear friends, let us continue to love one another, for love comes from God. Anyone who loves is a child of God and knows God. But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love. 1 John 4:7-8

It is November – consider daily: What are you Thankful for today?

Happy Thanksgiving – Everyone!

 

© 2022 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: