Sunday, May 24, 2020

Here in Chains


Meditate.
Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart. Pray for us, too, that God will give us many opportunities to speak about his mysterious plan concerning Christ. That is why I am here in chains. Pray that I will proclaim this message as clearly as I should. Colossians 4:2-4

Do you sometimes feel like you are like Paul…in chains during this “Stay Home – Stay Safe” mandate? We keep hearing that it won’t be long now…and things are beginning to open up. But for us old folk…those over 60 or even over 55 years old…we are still facing some isolation from the public. Pray, like Paul requested, that we will proclaim the message of the mysterious plan concerning Christ to others whenever we have the opportunity. As we are allowed more public gatherings…and even more time just with others around us, more opportunities arise. The lines haven’t been very long in the grocery stores—and there are fewer people there. Sometimes it is difficult to speak…with or without a mask, but we are admonished that we need to proclaim the Gospel clearly to others…and not to be ashamed, just as Paul wrote to the Romans and Jesus declared while instructing His disciples before He sent them out to heal and minister to others.
For I am not ashamed of this Good News about Christ. It is the power of God at work, saving everyone who believes--the Jew first and also the Gentile. Romans 1:16

Everyone who acknowledges me publicly here on earth, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But everyone who denies me here on earth, I will also deny before my Father in heaven. Matthew 10:32-33
The empty cross gives us hope and peace.
Jesus gives us joy.
Abundantly.
Thankfully.
Jesus, like anyone else, wants to be acknowledged in life. You do, too. Sometimes it is good to be anonymous, but it is good to be acknowledged, recognized for just being there…for being a part of your family, your work group, your circle of friends, your school or your church. “Hey, I’m here and so are you.” With Jesus, it is a little more. He wants you to tell others that He is part, a vital part, of your life. Look what He has done for you and for others. Can you identify what He has done in your life today? Can you share that with at least one other person?

Paul wrote…Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart. I pray like I am constantly talking to an old friend…yet God knows my heart even before I speak. Still we must pray. Lately I’ve been convicted that we must pray specifically for what we want or need. God is not a god that just answers our “gimmies” but He wants to provide for our needs and wants—especially as those fit into His will. Yet He is and has always been amazing.
The high and lofty one who lives in eternity, the Holy One, says this: "I live in the high and holy place with those whose spirits are contrite and humble. I restore the crushed spirit of the humble and revive the courage of those with repentant hearts. For I will not fight against you forever; I will not always be angry. If I were, all people would pass away--all the souls I have made. I was angry, so I punished these greedy people. I withdrew from them, but they kept going on their own stubborn way. I have seen what they do, but I will heal them anyway! I will lead them. I will comfort those who mourn, bringing words of praise to their lips. May they have abundant peace, both near and far," says the LORD, who heals them.
Isaiah 57:15-19
He sees us as we are. Stubborn…yet He heals us anyway…and give us His peace. Peace in our hearts, if not our lives. That is important right now. Suffering from anxiety is no fun. Jesus told us to not be anxious—to cast all our cares on Him. Somehow that is easier said than done, but I trust Him and I am experiencing His peace, joy, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, self-control and above all love. May you seek the Lord…while He can be found and find Him in these qualities in your life, too. No chains…just peace, strength and hope.

Prayer ~Lord, Thank you for Your presence in my life, for the peace that You give me in my heart, soul and mind. Renew my mind day by day, minute by minute that I would know You more. May all that I think, say and do be pleasing to You.

Verse of Salvation ~ How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of the messenger who brings good news, the good news of peace and salvation, the news that the God of Israel reigns! Isaiah 52:7

May God reign in your heart, soul and mind today as you seek and serve Him.

© 2020 Text and photo by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - https://www.blb.org 
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: