Friday, May 8, 2020

Good Grief!


Meditate. Despair. A New Song.
I waited patiently for the LORD to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the LORD. Psalm 40:1-3

When I was in High School the Youth Group at my church did a “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown” musical production. When we were casting the drama we had the perfect characters for Lucy, Linus, Charlie Brown, Peppermint Patty, Snoopy…just about all the characters, except Pigpen. I got to play that role. I was the leftover person…and it was the leftover part. It was just fun to be involved…and, as I remember it, Good Grief! was definitely the theme of the story. Charlie Brown never seems to do anything right…but God is with him. Eventually, even though his lack of baseball skills cause them to lose the game, his friends are with him. He is a good man—trying his best and making the most of things in his life. He and his friends find happiness—together. Joy is there if we look for it. Can grief be good? If life is shared with friends and family, there can be joy in mourning. You can find joy…as well as a new song and dancing.
Hear me, LORD, and have mercy on me. Help me, O LORD. You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy, that I might sing praises to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever! Psalm 30:10-12
Is the Lord part of your life? If not, seek Him today while you can find Him? Trust Him to turn your grief into joy. Good grief! Choose Jesus. Choose Joy.

Prayer ~ O LORD my God, I cried to you for help, and you restored my health. You brought me up from the grave, O LORD. You kept me from falling into the pit of death. May all the godly ones sing to You LORD! Praise Your Holy name. From Psalm 30:2-4.

Verse of Salvation ~ From then on Jesus began to preach, "Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near." Matthew 4:17

Friday’s Feast at the King’s Table
Another isolation day…another isolation meal. What to eat is no more of a dilemma today than it was at any other time, it is just that we won’t be running to the store a couple of times a week for something that is on sale, we forgot on the last trip, or is just something we crave to eat. So what do you want to eat today? Chicken fajitas are quick and easy if you happen to have everything on hand.

Chicken Fajitas
Tortilla – I used small corn or flour one
Chicken breast, sliced thin, fresh or cooked

Avocado, sliced thin
Red, Yellow, Orange or Green Peppers, sliced in thin strips
Sweet onion, sliced
Zucchini, sliced lengthwise into thin strips
Grated cheddar or Colby Jack Cheese
Salsa, tabasco sauce, or chopped cilantro and sour cream for garnish

If using raw chicken, brown in a frying pan using a small amount of olive oil. Cook peppers, onions and zucchini until well browned in a hot skillet with a small amount of olive oil, after cooking chicken. If using cooked chicken, add to pan after cooking vegetables. Warm the tortillas. Place a few slices of cooked chicken, vegetables, avocado, and grated cheese on each tortilla. Fold in half and enjoy. You might want to add salsa, tabasco sauce or chopped cilantro for more flavor. Garnish with sour cream, if desired.

© 2020 Text and photo by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - https://www.blb.org 
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: