Friday, January 30, 2015

Teach Me

Answer me quickly, O LORD, my spirit fails; do not hide Your face from me, or I will become like those who go down to the pit. Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning; for I trust in You; teach me the way in which I should walk; for to You I lift up my soul. Deliver me, O LORD, from my enemies; I take refuge in You. Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God; let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground. For the sake of Your name, O LORD, revive me. In Your righteousness bring my soul out of trouble. Psalm 143:7-11   

Teach me…lead me. Lead me on level ground. David was asking to be lead on level ground—not uphill out of the depths of his despair or the pit. That would have been a reasonable request since David had enemies…and his own sins to confess that left him feeling in the pits. He was seeking the Holy Spirit to guide him. Only the righteousness of God Himself could change things for David. How about you? Are you willing to trust the Holy Spirit guide you in His righteousness—to show you the right path to walk?

Prayer ~ Holy Spirit, teach me how I should walk in a way that is pleasing to You…even if it needs to be uphill. As long as You are with me…Your righteousness will bring my soul peace.

Friday’s Feast at the King’s Table
One of my favorite cookies is a spicy ginger cookie that a friend of mine made around Christmas time. Hope you enjoy this cookie. It may even spice up the football game menu. 

Three Ginger Cookies
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup minced crystallized ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1 large egg
¼ cup molasses
1½ Tablespoons finely grated fresh peeled ginger
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 cup sugar
Position 1 rack in top third and 1 rack in bottom third of oven; preheat to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, crystallized ginger, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until creamy and light, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in brown sugar. Beat for a couple of minutes on medium-high speed until creamy. Add egg, molasses, fresh ginger, ground ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Beat to blend. Add flour mixture in 2 additions, beating on low speed just to blend between additions.

Place 1/3 cup sugar in small bowl. Measure 1 tablespoon dough. Roll into ball between palms of hands, then roll in sugar in bowl to coat; place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining cookie dough, spacing cookies about 2 inches apart.

Bake cookies until surfaces crack and cookies are firm around edges but still slightly soft in center, about 10-12 minutes. Cool completely on sheets on rack. DO AHEAD: Cookies can be made up to 4 days ahead. Store in airtight containers at room temperature. Enjoy—though they won’t last long.

© 2015 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise noted.

No comments: