Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Nostalgia


Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.' Then these righteous ones will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?' And the King will say, 'I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!' Matthew 25:34-40

I was hungry...and you gave me something to eat.
Fish caught in the Mediterranean Sea near Joppa.
The emotion of nostalgia includes feelings of reminiscence, wistfulness, longing and melancholy. Jesus may not have been reminiscing about what had happened in the past…but looking to the future in this passage. He was expressing a longing for how His followers had cared for others—as if caring for Him. That “nostalgia” is the same emotion we feel when we long for something with a pleasure and yet sadness. So in this passage Jesus was pleased that His followers had served others with a bit of a sadness that they just didn’t see when they were serving others that they were really serving their Lord.

Do you ever serve others for Jesus…and not realize that you are actually serving the Lord?
Is Jesus your Lord? Those on His “right” in this passage are the sheep…the followers. The ones that are on His left (see Matthew 25:31-33; 41-46) are the goats who are sent away into eternal punishment. Will you be on His right…or on His left?

Prayer ~ Praise the LORD, all you nations. Praise him, all you people of the earth. For he loves us with unfailing love; the LORD's faithfulness endures forever. Praise the LORD! Psalm 117:1-2. I praise You Lord—and I serve You with gladness…treating others as I would treat You.

Daily Bible Reading: Jeremiah 46-48
© 2018 Text and photos by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: