Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Triumph


Jesus Triumphal Entry…
Donkey at the Mount of Olives
Jerusalem
The next day, the news that Jesus was on the way to Jerusalem swept through the city. A large crowd of Passover visitors took palm branches and went down the road to meet him. They shouted, "Praise God! Blessings on the one who comes in the name of the LORD! Hail to the King of Israel!" Jesus found a young donkey and rode on it, fulfilling the prophecy that said: "Don't be afraid, people of Jerusalem. Look, your King is coming, riding on a donkey's colt." His disciples didn't understand at the time that this was a fulfillment of prophecy. But after Jesus entered into his glory, they remembered what had happened and realized that these things had been written about him. John 12:12-16

Not in triumph—but in completion…
Jesus knew that his mission was now finished, and to fulfill Scripture he said, "I am thirsty." A jar of sour wine was sitting there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put it on a hyssop branch, and held it up to his lips. When Jesus had tasted it, he said, "It is finished!" Then he bowed his head and released his spirit. John 19:28-30

Jesus…King of Kings, Lord of Lords. It was predicted in Psalms that a King would come in the name of the Lord.
This is the day the LORD has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. Please, LORD, please save us. Please, LORD, please give us success. Bless the one who comes in the name of the LORD. We bless you from the house of the LORD. Psalm 118:24-26
When we consider “Triumph” we think of victory, achievement, success, conquest, accomplishment, rejoicing, elation and satisfaction. Jesus certainly had a triumph as He entered Jerusalem that last week of His life. What a procession with waving palm branches and singing! I wish I had been there to see that sight. His followers sincerely thought that He was going to be that Messiah that would save them from the Roman oppression. But that was not what Jesus’ ministry was all about. As He told John’s disciples…
Jesus told them, "Go back to John and tell him what you have heard and seen—the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised to life, and the Good News is being preached to the poor." Matthew 11:4-5
Additionally, Jesus emphasized that He came to do the will of the Father.
For I have come down from heaven to do the will of God who sent me, not to do my own will. And this is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those he has given me, but that I should raise them up at the last day. For it is my Father's will that all who see his Son and believe in him should have eternal life. I will raise them up at the last day." John 6:38-40

And I assure you that the time is coming, indeed it's here now, when the dead will hear my voice—the voice of the Son of God. And those who listen will live. The Father has life in himself, and he has granted that same life-giving power to his Son. And he has given him authority to judge everyone because he is the Son of Man. Don't be so surprised! Indeed, the time is coming when all the dead in their graves will hear the voice of God's Son, and they will rise again. Those who have done good will rise to experience eternal life, and those who have continued in evil will rise to experience judgment. I can do nothing on my own. I judge as God tells me. Therefore, my judgment is just, because I carry out the will of the one who sent me, not my own will. John 5:25-30
So imagine Jesus hanging there on the cross. He knows that He has done just what the Father God asked Him to do. Now His work on earth is finished. It is finished.

Jesus came to do the will of the Father. What have you come to do? Do you ever feel that you’ve achieved a level of success or accomplished what you set out to do? We should all have those points in our lives whether it is just finishing high school or college, birthing a baby or writing a poem. We have big and small accomplishments every day. Rejoice in those—especially the ones in which you can see God at work in or through you. Do you see moments like that? If not, pray about it and open your heart to see God working in your life…to see yourself working and serving the Lord.

Prayer ~ Lord Jesus, I give You my heart and my life. Accomplish in me whatever You will. Give me understanding and I will obey your instructions; I will put them into practice with all my heart. Psalm 119:34.

Daily Bible Reading: Ezekiel 5-8
© 2018 Text and photos by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: