Monday, August 6, 2018

Did Jesus Ever Have Anxiety?


He went on a little farther and fell to the ground. He prayed that, if it were possible, the awful hour awaiting him might pass him by. "Abba, Father," he cried out, "everything is possible for you. Please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine." Mark 14:35-36

He took Peter and Zebedee's two sons, James and John, and he became anguished and distressed. He told them, "My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me." He went on a little farther and bowed with his face to the ground, praying, "My Father! If it is possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine." Matthew 26:37-39

Did Jesus ever have anxiety? Wow…did He ever! He certainly had a reason to feel anguish and distress…anxiety. He was facing a brutal death. He even told His disciples… My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death. I think He felt anxiety, apprehension and anguish deeper than most humans have felt in their lifetime. When have we faced betrayal, arrest, beatings, humiliation, rejection and death? My anxieties in life have centered around loosing family members in tragic deaths and then at other times not meeting expectations of others…or myself. These seem trivial compared to what Jesus experienced.


We don’t know ahead of time what is going to happen to us and how we are going to die. Jesus did and He graciously accepted His role in life, the punishment for our sin…and more. He felt that deep human emotion of anxiety…and He didn’t run away from His situation…or breakdown and cry. Can we even begin to do the same in a small way? Can you rely on the Lord to see you through the tough times? I try to trust Him to show me the way to better choices and to keep me out of dangerous situations. It may not be easy…but let Jesus help you. Give Him your anxieties. He knows about anxiety.

Sit and Rest.
Give Jesus all your anxieties.
Gaiser Conservatory at Manito Park - Spokane, Washington  
Prayer ~ Jesus, I am feeling Your anguish with You. You took all our sins with You to the cross…and bore not only our sins…but the shame and humiliation of that brutal death. My heart is heavy for You—You gave so much…and Your closest friends couldn’t even stay awake and pray with You in Your hour of need. Our Heavenly Father had to let You suffer since that was His plan for the sacrificial offering providing for salvation of mankind. But my heart is filled with grief…grief and deep heartfelt appreciation for what You suffered for me, and for my family, my friends, neighbors and everyone reading this blog. You told Your followers…"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today." Matthew 6:33-34.  And Peter taught…"Cast all your anxiety on him (Jesus) because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7 NIV. Thank You.

Daily Bible Reading: Zephaniah

© 2018 Text and photos by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: