Monday, January 15, 2018

Spiritual Need

From The Sermon on the Mount...
God blesses those who are poor and realize their need for him, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs. Matthew 5:3


      Spiritually poor--like this lonely swan?

Spiritually poor. Perhaps they undervalue themselves...maybe just have a low self-esteem. Even Paul considered himself the least of the apostles.
     - For I am the least of all the apostles. In fact, I'm not even worthy to be called an apostle after the way I persecuted God's church. 1 Corinthians 15:9
Do you consider yourself "spiritually poor"? I know that sometimes...well, honestly...often, I feel like I need more of God. I need to focus on Him more in my life. I need His insight--His viewpoint--and His wisdom. Recognizing my spiritual weakness, I need and want--deeply desire--to grow spiritually. To do that I need to get back on track with my "Daily Bible Reading" plan. I was so proud of myself for reading through the whole Bible in 2017--that just haven't had the same motivation in 2018. So proud--look what "I" did. Pride goes before the fall (Proverbs 16:18). Oops. I guess I'd better watch out...least I fall.
An Old Testament declaration of assisting the "poor" in spirit can be found in Isaiah.
     - The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is upon me, for the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted and to proclaim that captives will be released and prisoners will be freed. Isaiah 61:1
Good News to the poor...including the poor in spirit. The Good News is God's Love for mankind. That was message of freedom--love--that Isaiah preached...and that Jesus not only proclaimed but provided by dying on the cross for our sins. The true love. Think about that.
Thinking is a keystone to our spiritual freedom--to taking control of our spiritual development--and to relationships with other people and with God. Today we remember Martin Luther King Jr--the great American Civil Rights Leader who was assassinated in 1968. He made many speeches, from which we can recall quotes to honor him. One of his lesser known quotes considers "thinking."
  "Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."     Martin Luther King Jr  
Think about that. Generally, a lot of people are lazy. They want to be entertained--not serve others...seek educational opportunities or even just think. King was a deep thinker. We need more godly men like him. If people were willing to think...to analyze God's teachings and apply them to their lives would they be spiritually poor?

Prayer ~ Lord God, Give us a desire to think and learn and please endow us with wisdom and insight from You that in gaining spiritual insight we would gain the Kingdom of Heaven.

Daily Bible Reading: Job 40-42
Happy Heavenly Birthday...Mom
© 2018 Text and photos by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfmwww.blueletterbible.org/daily reading.      

No comments: