Friday, June 17, 2022

The House of the Lord

Prayer ~ Lord, I want to live with You…forever…in Your House. Help me to understand what the House of the Lord means to You…and where I fit into Your plan.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble? When evil people come to devour me, when my enemies and foes attack me, they will stumble and fall. Though a mighty army surrounds me, my heart will not be afraid. Even if I am attacked, I will remain confident. The one thing I ask of the LORD--the thing I seek most--is to live in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, delighting in the LORD's perfections and meditating in his Temple. Psalm 27:1-4

 

Meditate.

 

In the Old Testament the “House of the Lord” was the Tabernacle and then the Temple. A sacrificial place. God gave specific directions to individuals and groups of people as to offering sacrifices and serving in the Lord’s House. (Verses underlined below for emphasis.)

As you harvest your crops, bring the very best of the first harvest to the house of the LORD your God. ….  Exodus 34:26

 

The work of the Levites was to assist the priests, the descendants of Aaron, as they served at the house of the LORD. They also took care of the courtyards and side rooms, helped perform the ceremonies of purification, and served in many other ways in the house of God. They were in charge of the sacred bread that was set out on the table, the choice flour for the grain offerings, the wafers made without yeast, the cakes cooked in olive oil, and the other mixed breads. They were also responsible to check all the weights and measures. And each morning and evening they stood before the LORD to sing songs of thanks and praise to him. They assisted with the burnt offerings that were presented to the LORD on Sabbath days, at new moon celebrations, and at all the appointed festivals. The required number of Levites served in the LORD's presence at all times, following all the procedures they had been given. And so, under the supervision of the priests, the Levites watched over the Tabernacle and the Temple and faithfully carried out their duties of service at the house of the LORD. 1 Chronicles 23:28-32

The House of the Lord in heaven will certainly be a special place—but there is still so much to learn about it. God has some hidden nuggets of information for us. Keep searching! Note that in the New Jerusalem, described in Revelation 21, that there is no temple. The Lord God Almighty and Jesus are the Temple.

Then, in heaven, the Temple of God was opened and the Ark of his covenant could be seen inside the Temple. Lightning flashed, thunder crashed and roared, and there was an earthquake and a terrible hailstorm. Revelation 11:19

 

Then I looked and saw that the Temple in heaven, God's Tabernacle, was thrown wide open. Revelation 15:5

 

I saw no temple in the city, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. Revelation 21:22

Build your relationship with the Lord, as He builds His Holy Temple within you, then you will dwell in the House of the Lord…forever.

Don't you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you? God will destroy anyone who destroys this temple. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple. 1 Corinthians 3:16-17

 

Verses of Salvation ~ Keep a close watch on how you live and on your teaching. Stay true to what is right for the sake of your own salvation and the salvation of those who hear you. 1 Timothy 4:16

 

Memory Verse of the Week ~ Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the LORD forever. Psalm 23:6

 

Friday’s Feast at the King’s Table

Surprise! Czech Food!
Our family surprised my husband with his favorite.
Liver dumpling soup, boiled beef with dill gravy,
and...pork roast with bread dumpling.
Of course, sweet and sour cabbage, too!
Ahhh. Jerry was in heaven.
Not really. Just figuratively. He is still very much with us!
Eat whatever the Lord puts before you…as if eating with the Lord Himself.

 

© 2022 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: