Sunday, June 19, 2022

Grandmothers’ Wisdom

Prayer ~ Lord, You blessed me with wonderful, wise Grandmothers, one of whom gave me and my siblings a great Dad. Thank you for those precious ladies who tried so hard to bestow me with wisdom from You. Please give me wisdom, like You gave them…and help me to wisely teach my family as they did.

I remember your genuine faith, for you share the faith that first filled your grandmother Lois and your mother, Eunice. And I know that same faith continues strong in you.  2 Timothy 1:5-7

 

Meditate on the value of wisdom.

 

Poppyseed and Cheese Kolache
Where is my cherry one?
The other day I returned a food container to a friend…and she said, “Ah. What’s this?” So, I said, “My Grandmother said to never return a dish empty.” She laughed and peeked inside to see that we had brought her some Czech kolache. Her favorite flavor, cherry. She was thrilled and all smiles.

 

My Grandmothers were so wise. Here are some of the nuggets of wisdom they impressed on me.

Love one another. That was from Jesus. (John 13:35)

Treat others the way you want to be treated. That was from Jesus. (Matthew 7:2)

Forgive others, even if you don’t want to. That was from Jesus. (Luke 6:37)

Sit with your knees together and ankles crossed…not your legs. Be modest. (1 Timothy 2:15)

Be ready to help others and practice hospitality. (Romans 12:13) From Jesus…through Paul.

Don’t be lazy. From Jesus through Paul. (Romans 12:11 )

Once isn’t enough…vacuum that area five times.

Don’t walk by a weed without pulling it up.

Wear an apron to keep your dress clean.

Don’t rush—take time to do it right.

Make your stitches small and straight.

The one drying the dishes should make sure everything is clean.

Study hard and avoid foolish talk. Wisdom from Jesus through Paul. (2 Timothy 2:15-16)

It doesn’t matter if you are not popular. Our purpose is to please God, not people. From Jesus through Paul. 1 Thessalonians 2:4

God is LOVE. From Jesus through John. (1 John 4:7-8)

God gave me such wise Grandmothers…and I didn’t realize it at the time. They were each loving in their own way. As they were building their relationship with me, they were helping me build a relationship with the Lord. I’m trying to intentionally do the same with my grandchildren.  

 

Such Wisdom, based on Love. The love of the Father—our Heavenly Father. That was my Grandmothers’ wisdom.

 

Verses of Salvation ~ But you must remain faithful to the things you have been taught. You know they are true, for you know you can trust those who taught you. You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus. 2 Timothy 3:14-15


Happy Father's Day!

 

© 2022 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: