Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Why Do We Want to Please Others So Much?

Prayer – Lord, I find myself often doing things to please others. Why? I think I should be living to please You. Sometimes my thoughts, words, and actions can do both…but is this realistic? 

For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of what we eat or drink, but of living a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. If you serve Christ with this attitude, you will please God, and others will approve of you, too. So then, let us aim for harmony in the church and try to build each other up. Romans 14:17-19

 

Meditate. Consider obedience to God.

 

Green Bridge to Nowhere
Originally built in 1922.
It crossed the Columbia River at Kennewick, WA.
Demolished in 1990 when it was replaced.

There are so many questions in life. One that has plagued me is “Why do I want to please others so much?” I’ve given it considerable thought over the years. What I’ve decided is that it is just human nature to want to be accepted which is an indication of love. By pleasing others, we strive to gain acceptance and thus love. To love and be loved is a basic human desire. I believe that it is actually created by God so that we will want to seek His love…and love Him. Can we build a bridge in our relationship with God if we are trying to please others?

 

Typically, people say…at least I do, “I don’t care what others think of me.” But in reality, I do care. I live to please my husband, family, friends and even my neighbors. I think that other people want to please those around them. Why else would people spend millions of dollars and squander their time on their clothes, make-up, perfect food, houses, home deco, and extravagant cars? We could all just dress alike, wear no make-up, all drive same color and type of car, and live in cookie cutter houses with no decorations. That would make life simple and cheap. But instead, we put creativity to the test and spend money to impress others—we care about what they think of us. Do we put others first before God? That is our own decision, but it ties in with the choice…why do we want to please others so much?

 

Verse of Salvation ~ So I am willing to endure anything if it will bring salvation and eternal glory in Christ Jesus to those God has chosen. This is a trustworthy saying: If we die with him, we will also live with him. If we endure hardship, we will reign with him. If we deny him, he will deny us. If we are unfaithful, he remains faithful, for he cannot deny who he is. 2 Timothy 2:10-13

 

© 2023 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: