Wednesday, March 2, 2022

What Will You Give Up for Lent?

Prayer ~ Lord, some people give up something for Lent—in recognition of the sacrifice you made for each of us and in preparation for celebrating Your resurrection in forty days. My friends, when I was a teenager, gave up sodas or chocolate. Friends as an adult gave up coffee or desserts. But to really give up something, it needs to be meaningful to life, something associated with spiritual development and one’s relationship with You, Lord. So, for this year I give up…fear.

But don't be afraid of those who threaten you. For the time is coming when everything that is covered will be revealed, and all that is secret will be made known to all. What I tell you now in the darkness, shout abroad when daybreak comes. What I whisper in your ear, shout from the housetops for all to hear! "Don't be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot touch your soul. Fear only God, who can destroy both soul and body in hell. What is the price of two sparrows--one copper coin? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it. And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows. Matthew 10:26-31

 

Meditate. What is keeping you from having a closer relationship with the Lord?

 

Fear.
I'll even give up the fear of snakes.
God is with me wherever I go. 
He will give me strength and help!

Fear. That’s what keeps me from honoring God with my whole heart. It isolates me from my friends, family, and neighbors. This fear is not the “fear of the Lord” which can actually be thought of as “respect for the Lord.” Don’t be afraid. I can only do it because I find my strength in the Lord. I will not fear—that is just what I am “giving up” for Lent. I’m reminded that I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength (Philippians 4:13) and that includes giving up fear!

Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. Isaiah 41:10

What is holding you back from a stronger deeper relationship with the Lord? Fear. Honesty—or lack of it with God or yourself. Perseverance. Bitterness. Jealousy. Hatred. Anger. Lust. Selfish ambition. Envy. What will you give up for Lent?

 

Verse of Salvation ~ Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and make me willing to obey you. Psalm 51:12

 

Memory Verse of the Week ~ God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can't take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. Ephesians 2:8-9

 

© 2022 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins of the Bible: New Testament Stories

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

No comments: