Thursday, July 15, 2021

What Example Do You Follow in Life?

Meditate.

Dear friend, don't let this bad example (see 3 John 1:9 – church leader Diotrephes) influence you. Follow only what is good. Remember that those who do good prove that they are God's children, and those who do evil prove that they do not know God. 3 John 1:11

John is encouraging Christians around the world…in his time and in ours…to follow good not evil examples. What example do you follow in your life? Are you modeling your life after a fine Christian mentor or after a good buddy at the local bar? Is good or evil dominating your life? Are you making your choices based on God’s word and guidance of the Holy Spirit…or the desires of your own heart? I pray every day for my children and grandchildren to make good decisions. Do they have faith and keep asking God for guidance?

Then the Lord said, "Learn a lesson from this unjust judge. Even he rendered a just decision in the end. So don't you think God will surely give justice to his chosen people who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? I tell you, he will grant justice to them quickly! But when the Son of Man returns, how many will he find on the earth who have faith?" Luke 18:6-8

I was recently reminded that salvation is a gift from God. Yes—we can’t earn it no matter how hard we work…but faith in God is our own part. How much faith we have depends on our own desires and decisions. Remember…

Hope
A world protected by a promise.

Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.
Hebrews 11:1

Still, faith is something within us…and we control it. We believe or not.

So let us stop going over the basic teachings about Christ again and again. Let us go on instead and become mature in our understanding. Surely we don't need to start again with the fundamental importance of repenting from evil deeds and placing our faith in God. You don't need further instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. And so, God willing, we will move forward to further understanding. - Hebrews 6:1-3


Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked. 1 Timothy 1:19

Don’t go back. Look forward in faith to tomorrow…to a deeper understanding and relationship with the Lord…and to Christ’s return. Christ is the ultimate example for us to follow.                                           

Prayer ~ A prayer of David. Bend down, O LORD, and hear my prayer; answer me, for I need your help. Protect me, for I am devoted to you. Save me, for I serve you and trust you. You are my God. Be merciful to me, O Lord, for I am calling on you constantly. Give me happiness, O Lord, for I give myself to you. O Lord, you are so good, so ready to forgive, so full of unfailing love for all who ask for your help. Listen closely to my prayer, O LORD; hear my urgent cry. I will call to you whenever I'm in trouble, and you will answer me. No pagan god is like you, O Lord. None can do what you do! All the nations you made will come and bow before you, Lord; they will praise your holy name. For you are great and perform wonderful deeds. You alone are God. Psalm 86:1-10. Like David…I ask You to hear my prayer.

Verses of Salvation ~ For since the world began, no ear has heard and no eye has seen a God like you, who works for those who wait for him! You welcome those who gladly do good, who follow godly ways. But you have been very angry with us, for we are not godly. We are constant sinners; how can people like us be saved? Isaiah 64:4-5

© 2021 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Available as an e-book or paperback at Amazon.com

No comments: