Sunday, June 7, 2020

Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep


Consider this simple prayer.
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.  (Not from the Bible) 

This is a children’s bedtime prayer from the 18th century that is still being taught today.
How do you feel about the message of this little child’s prayer? Do you think it would scare children to hear it? If I die before I wake…. Is there some comfort in asking that the Lord would take my soul? Might they ask…take it where…to Heaven? Now that is a comforting thought.
David prayed about his soul to God when he was hiding from Saul. He wasn’t sleeping, but he was relying on God to watch over him.
A Mikhtam (psalm) of David, when he fled from Saul in the cave. Be gracious to me, O God, be gracious to me, for my soul takes refuge in You; And in the shadow of Your wings I will take refuge until destruction passes by. Psalm 57:1 NASB
Even Jesus experienced a troubled soul.
Now my soul is deeply troubled. Should I pray, 'Father, save me from this hour'? But this is the very reason I came! John 12:27
Do you take refuge in the Lord? Are you comfortable asking the Lord to take care of your soul as you sleep and do you think that He will take you to Heaven if you die tonight?

Know for sure where you will spend eternity. Choose to have Jesus as your Savior. Repent of your sins and call upon the name of the Lord…and you will be saved.

Prayer ~ Lord God, I do confess to You that I am a sinner…and right now I repent—turn away from that sin—and turn to You Jesus as my Savior. It seems like such a simple thing to do.  I am grateful, Heavenly Father, that You created a plan for me…and for all of mankind…to choose to spend eternity with You and Your Son, Jesus Christ.

Verse of Salvation ~ If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. Romans 10:9-10

© 2020 Text, photos and paintings  by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - https://www.blb.org 
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: