Thursday, February 20, 2020

A Moment of Comfort


I have only a few days left, so leave me alone, that I may have a moment of comfort before I leave--never to return--for the land of darkness and utter gloom. It is a land as dark as midnight, a land of gloom and confusion, where even the light is dark as midnight.  Job 10:20-22

Job was sick and discouraged. He thought he was going to die. That was a physical death he was anticipating.
And I know you are sending me to my death--the destination of all who live. Job 30:23

Is there a spiritual aspect of the flu or pneumonia? Influenza seems to be most detrimental to the very young and the elderly. If you consider elderly those over 65 years of age, I’m in that latter group, but I don’t feel like I’m elderly. Oh well. When one is sick, really sick, they may reflect on life and death. Little children don’t understand what is happening to them and the elderly may seem confused and just ready to be finished with life. Fevers do that to people—cause confusion. Physical, mental and spiritual confusion.

Morning Glory in Israel - offering comfort
God gives us comfort in our time of need…if we ask. Job’s friends came to comfort him (Job 2:11), yet Job was still miserable. Here are a couple of verses in the discussion between Job and his friends…the first from his friend Eliphaz; the second from Job:
Is God's comfort too little for you? Is his gentle word not enough? Job 15:11
How can your empty clichés comfort me? All your explanations are lies!" Job 21:34
Life is tough…but Job did not give up spiritually. Ultimately, he repented and God did reward him. No spiritual death there.

Prayer ~ Lord…just as Job spoke… "I know that you can do anything, and no one can stop you. You asked, 'Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorance?' It is I--and I was talking about things I knew nothing about, things far too wonderful for me." Job 42:2-3

© 2020 Text and photos by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - https://www.blb.org 
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: