Friday, July 4, 2014

July 5 – What Have You Been Teaching?

Inside, the high priest began asking Jesus about his followers and what he had been teaching them. Jesus replied, "Everyone knows what I teach. I have preached regularly in the synagogues and the Temple, where the people gather. I have not spoken in secret. Why are you asking me this question? Ask those who heard me. They know what I said." Then one of the Temple guards standing nearby slapped Jesus across the face. "Is that the way to answer the high priest?" he demanded. Jesus replied, "If I said anything wrong, you must prove it. But if I'm speaking the truth, why are you beating me?" John 18:19-23 NLT 

What was Jesus teaching? We can read His words of teaching for ourselves in examples like the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5-7.  Many of His teachings seem to me to be guidelines for applying the Ten Commandments--practical ways to live out our lives. Like one of the Ten Commandments, Exodus 20:13, says thou shall not kill. Jesus elaborated on that to say...That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. Matthew 5:22 (KJV). Calling someone a fool is like "murdering" their character. Good teaching. He was speaking the truth.  In this passage from John 18 Jesus was answering the high priest's question honestly. For that He got slapped, a beating. Why? Would you have slapped Jesus for what He said? 

RSVP: Jesus is teaching you truth. Do you know what He said? How will you respond to Him today?

Prayer ~ Dear Jesus, may I listen closely to your teachings--and teach your words truthfully to others. 

© 2014 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise noted.

No comments: