Thursday, February 20, 2014

Body and Blood?

Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink. He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me. This is the bread which came down out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever." John 6:53-58

Truly, truly. Jesus is telling them the truth. He repeats what He just said in verse 35 and then in verses 47-51: He is the bread of life--the living bread--so alive that the bread is His flesh. That is pretty much "living" bread. A couple of years later He tells His disciples during their last Passover Meal together that the bread He was serving them was His body...and the cup was His blood (Luke 22:19-20). They were to remember Him when they ate together. This historical event is told by Paul to the Corinthian church...For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, "This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me." In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me." For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes. Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord. But a man must examine himself, and in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly. 1 Corinthians 11:23-29. Consider in your heart what Jesus said to His disciples. Are you one of His disciples today? Are you spiritually partaking of His body and blood? Communion offers us physical elements of a spiritual connection with Christ. Partake in His body and blood--given for you by our righteous living Lord and Savior. Jesus Christ.

RSVP: Jesus is once again explaining about eternal life. Will you accept His invitation and share eternity with Him?

Prayer~ Lord God, Your plan for eternal life is so simple and yet so deeply intense that some people just can't seem to see the truth. Your truth. Jesus truly is the Savior--He is my Savior. I needed saving from my sin--and He was there--hanging on the cross for me. Shedding His body and blood for me. Thank you, Jesus--seems hardly enough. And yet we can't escape that Jesus has already done that for us...for me and for you. Died--giving up His body and shedding His blood...for me...and for you. 

© 2014 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise noted.

No comments: