Saturday, July 30, 2022

Who is Your Shield Today?

Prayer – Lord, You are my shield, protector, and above all my Savior. You save me from…violence, evil, poverty, jealousy, envy, strife…from sin…from my enemies…from myself.

Rock Anchor
Sea of Galilee, Israel
David sang this song to the LORD on the day the LORD rescued him from all his enemies and from Saul. He sang: "The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety. He is my refuge, my savior, the one who saves me from violence. I called on the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and he saved me from my enemies.” 2 Samuel 22:1–4

 

Meditate. Consider your enemies…and God’s protection from them.

 

A shield was important in David’s time. With it you could fend off those arrows, rock, or swords in a battle. It was actually an essential defense mechanism. What would we compare that to today?

 

God’s world is a spiritual world. He is our spiritual father.

 And don't address anyone here on earth as 'Father,' for only God in heaven is your spiritual Father. Matthew 23:9

He is the rock on which we can build our lives. As our loving parent, He shields us from things we cannot even see—evil. Evil thoughts, words, and actions. We only have to ask for His protection…as we are told in Proverbs 30. In scripture we are reminded of God’s spiritual dimension over and over. Jesus came in a human form—because as humans we needed to see our savior.

And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him. Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness. Don't let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ. Colossians 2:6–8

Rejoice and give thanks. God is a shield to all who come to Him for protection.

 

Verses of Salvation ~ For Jesus is the one referred to in the Scriptures, where it says, 'The stone that you builders rejected has now become the cornerstone.' There is salvation in no one else! God has given no other name under heaven by which we must be saved. Acts 4:11–12

 

Memory Verse of the Week ~ Every word of God proves true. He is a shield to all who come to him for protection. Proverbs 30:5   

Have you memorized this scripture passage?

 

© 2022 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

 

No comments: