Friday, May 31, 2019

Loving the Ultimate Friend


Memory Verse this week…
Look! I stand at the door and knock. If you hear my voice and open the door, I will come in, and we will share a meal together as friends. Revelation 3:20

Jesus wants to be a friend—the ultimate friend. What qualities do you look for in a friend? Common interests. Honest, trustworthy, loyal, kindhearted, generous, peace loving, patient, gentle, self-controlled, sense of humor. Friendly. Yes. Jesus has all those qualities…and more. We can be not only friends with Jesus…but friends of God.
When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners. Now, most people would not be willing to die for an upright person, though someone might perhaps be willing to die for a person who is especially good. But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. And since we have been made right in God's sight by the blood of Christ, he will certainly save us from God's condemnation. For since our friendship with God was restored by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies, we will certainly be saved through the life of his Son. So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God. Romans 5:6-11

Imagine Jesus is standing at your door…or the door of your heart. Can you hear His voice? Will you open the door? If so, He has promised…He will come in…and share a meal together as friends. What a great promise! In His last hours and at His last meal with His disciples Jesus reminded them that they were His friends and that love is the key—His love for them, their love for Him and for each other.
I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father's commandments and remain in his love. I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn't confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. You didn't choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. This is my command: Love each other. John 15:9-17
No greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. That is the ultimate love…by the ultimate friend. What a friend we have in Jesus! Do you hear His voice? Do you consider Him a friend?

Prayer ~ Lord Jesus, we acknowledge that there is no greater love than Your love. You laid down Your life for us. Holy Spirit, help us to honor Jesus Christ by obeying His commandments…and loving Him and each other.

Daily Bible Reading: 1 Kings 3-4

Friday’s Feast at the King’s Table
Breathe in the air that God created just for you. Outside my door I have peppermint planted and on a morning like today with the windows open and a gentle spring breeze blowing, I can smell the mint. It’s time for a cup of mint tea. Please pull up a chair and join me.

Herbal Mint Tea
Brew up a pot of herbal tea of your choice…lemon, rosehip, or my favorite today…Mint. To a pot of hot water or freshly brewed herbal tea, add a handful of chopped or torn peppermint leaves, stir and brew for a few more minutes. Serve in your favorite teacup or pour over ice cubes in a tall glass and enjoy. The fruity peppermint flavor is so thirst quenching and refreshing. Love in glass or a cup—for you and a friend. Feel it?

© 2019 Text and photos by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: