Sunday, May 5, 2019

Who Is This Man?

Memory Verse this week…

Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3:5-6

Rescued From the Storm
As evening came, Jesus said to his disciples, "Let's cross to the other side of the lake." So they took Jesus in the boat and started out, leaving the crowds behind (although other boats followed). But soon a fierce storm came up. High waves were breaking into the boat, and it began to fill with water. Jesus was sleeping at the back of the boat with his head on a cushion. The disciples woke him up, shouting, "Teacher, don't you care that we're going to drown?" When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Silence! Be still!" Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. Then he asked them, "Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?" The disciples were absolutely terrified. "Who is this man?" they asked each other. "Even the wind and waves obey him!"  Mark 4:35-41

Ancient Boat excavated from the Sea of Galilee
Very much afraid…absolutely terrified. That is how the disciples were feeling as their boat tossed about on the Sea of Galilee. Have you ever been that afraid? Afraid that you were going to die? They were headed for "the other side"—the Gentile area. Should there be cause for fear there, too?

David wrote a Psalm about being afraid. Why should we be afraid? Trust. Trust in the Lord who will protect each of us from danger—whether it is from a raging storm or a mortal enemy.
The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble? Psalm 27:1
For several years I’ve wondered why Christians are so afraid to die. Why do you think that is? We know that we will rest…and go to heaven one day to spend eternity with Jesus. So what is that fear all about? Do we not trust the Lord to take care of us? Do we have some doubt that we really will go to heaven? Are we so attached to this world…family, friends, worldly possessions…that we don’t want to let go of our life here to go onto the next dimension? If the wind and waves can obey Jesus…why can’t I? I for one am ready to go on to the next adventure towards eternity. How about you? Are you secure in your faith in Jesus that you can trust Him to take care of you whether it is storms or evil people? No fear?
In my distress I prayed to the LORD, and the LORD answered me and set me free. The --LORD is for me, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?  Psalm 118:5-6
Storms on the oceans…or stormy relationships—the Lord can defend and rescue you.

Prayer ~ Lord Jesus…you said... "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light." Matthew 11:28-30. I give You my burdens and my fears. Thank You for rescuing me from the turmoils and storms of life.

Daily Bible Reading: Psalms 1-2, 15, 22-24, 47, 68
© 2019 Text and photos by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is so fun to see your pictures on your blog and now I can actually say - "I have seen that ancient boat". Love you, my friend.