Sunday, June 1, 2014

Don’t Put Off Helping and Loving One Another

This I command you, that you love one another. John 15:17 

How many times have we heard this before? Apparently, this is the only command that Jesus actually gave His disciples, and His followers, to “love one another.”
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. John 13:34
This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you. John 15:12
This I command you, that you love one another. John 15:17
For Jesus to command this was very important—it was like an addition to the Ten Commandments. He expected His disciples, and us as His followers, to obey this commandment, along with the other Ten. So how should we show this love? I’ve been blogging about this love of Jesus’ a lot lately. Jesus said that no greater love has a person than they lay down their life for their friends. That is just what He did when He went to the cross for our sins. More practical ways, during this day and age, would just to put others needs ahead of our own. That is a hard one in our self-center culture. We just need to intentionally think of others. Others in our homes, our families, our friends, our neighborhood, and throughout our community —in my circle of influence. There are countless ways to serve others and show God’s love. Look around. Do we have time that we can spare to care for others and serve them by volunteering at a school, library, nursing home, mission, or can we donate food, clothing, or paper products to a shelter? I’m guilty of putting off “serving” others…I’ll do it next week…or next month. I need to do it NOW. How about you?

RSVP: Jesus is opening our eyes to see opportunities to serve Him by serving others, opportunities to love others. How will you respond to Him today? 

Prayer ~ Jesus, help me show and share Your love with others in my circle of influence. I do want to love one another, as You have commanded. Thank you Holy Spirit for convicting me that I need to help others today…and not put it off until next week.  

© 2014 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise noted.

No comments: