Saturday, June 7, 2014

No Stumbling

These things I have spoken to you so that you may be kept from stumbling. John 16:1 

As you may have read earlier in my blog, my husband stumbled down some stairs when we were in Portugal in April. He fell, broke his left hip and had to have hip replacement surgery in Portugal. Wonderful place, Hospital Beatriz Angelo, to have that surgery—done by a terrific doctor, Dr. Pedro Pinto. Most of the area of Lisbon where we were has cobblestone sidewalks—so we were very careful where and how we walked. It amazed me that so many women in Portugal wear high healed stiletto shoes. Very stylish ladies. And they walk down the cobblestone streets quite gracefully! Not me…I wore flats and walking shoes with gripping soles.  No stumbling…down stairs or on bumpy sidewalks.  

Jesus told His disciples…and us…about the world hating them…and how we should love each other, so as not to stumble. He didn’t want us to fall into sin. Proverbs tells us that God gives us wisdom and understanding to keep us from stumbling.
The LORD by wisdom founded the earth, by understanding He established the heavens. By His knowledge the deeps were broken up and the skies drip with dew. My son, let them not vanish from your sight; keep sound wisdom and discretion, so they will be life to your soul and adornment to your neck. Then you will walk in your way securely and your foot will not stumble. When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught. Proverbs 3:19-26
Trust the Lord to keep your steps safe and secure…physically and spiritually. That was a lesson I learned from God in Portugal. We may not know where we are…I literally didn’t know where we were located without a map when we were at the hospital. I just knew we were in a strange country, I didn’t know the language, and when it was time to leave the hospital, I didn’t know where we were going. But God knew. Spiritually, ask yourself these questions:
            Do you know where you are? Do you know where you are going?
Those are very important questions. Search for the answers from God. He knows where you are and where you should be going. 

RSVP: Jesus is providing safety for you today…to keep you from stumbling. How will you respond to Him today? Will you let Him help you? Will you let Him show you the way…and then will you help others find their way? 

Prayer ~ Dear Jesus, You have rescued my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling (Psalms 116:8). Please keep me from stumbling physically and spiritually today. Guard my steps that whatever I do may be pleasing to You.

 © 2014 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise noted.

No comments: