Thursday, October 6, 2022

How to Get Joy

Prayer – Lord, help me to remember Your promises and how You helped David and his army so many times. You are powerful. Although I don’t have enemies or an army like David…I still need Your help Lord. Don’t reject or abandon me. You’ve promised to never leave me or forsake me…and I am clinging to that promise. Please give me the abundant joy that You promise to those who love You and follow Your teachings.

You have rejected us, O God, and broken our defenses. You have been angry with us; now restore us to your favor. You have shaken our land and split it open. Seal the cracks, for the land trembles. You have been very hard on us, making us drink wine that sent us reeling. But you have raised a banner for those who fear you—a rallying point in the face of attack. Now rescue your beloved people. Answer and save us by your power. God has promised this by his holiness: "I will divide up Shechem with joy. I will measure out the valley of Succoth. Gilead is mine, and Manasseh, too. Ephraim, my helmet, will produce my warriors, and Judah, my scepter, will produce my kings. But Moab, my washbasin, will become my servant, and I will wipe my feet on Edom and shout in triumph over Philistia." Who will bring me into the fortified city? Who will bring me victory over Edom? Have you rejected us, O God? Will you no longer march with our armies? Oh, please help us against our enemies, for all human help is useless. With God's help we will do mighty things, for he will trample down our foes. Psalms 60:1-12

 

Meditate. Pause and focus on God’s word.

 

Take a ride on the Sea of Galilee
Where are the regions and towns that David mentioned?

Consider the names of these regions. How well do you know the geography of the Middle East—particularly the area of Israel. Take a look at a map of the area by Googling “Map of Israel at the time of David” to see the particular areas that David was referencing. Israel is smaller today and with all the name changes, it is difficult to locate the same places that David wrote about. That can be a challenge for you if you are ever bored. Focus on understanding not only the past, but the present geography of that region.

 

David is once again crying out to God, but he realizes that God has been angry with the people of Israel. Rescue us! David is pleading for God’s help and declaring that with God’s help they will do mighty things. God is powerful—and David wants His help against his enemies. God will help us in the same way that He helped David…if we believe in Him and ask for His help. Jesus said that if we ask in His name, we will receive. Believe in Jesus as your Savior and trust Him. Jesus explained this to His disciples just before He was arrested and taken to the cross.

I tell you the truth, you will ask the Father directly, and he will grant your request because you use my name. You haven't done this before. Ask, using my name, and you will receive, and you will have abundant joy. John 16:23-24

How do you get joy in your life? No joy without the Lord. Ask for joy in your life. Jesus will give it to you.

 

Verses of Salvation ~ Oh, give me back my joy again; you have broken me—now let me rejoice. Don't keep looking at my sins. Remove the stain of my guilt. Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me. Do not banish me from your presence, and don't take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and make me willing to obey you. Psalm 51:8-12

 

Memory Verse of the Week ~ Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. Colossians 3:16

Birthday Blessing - Evelyn

© 2022 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: