Saturday, October 8, 2022

Are You Known for Your Self-Control?

Prayer – Lord, I am weak—but You are strong. Jesus, keep me from all wrong. Daily help me walk closer to You—as I wait quietly before You. You are my rock, my shield and my salvation. Guide me step by step down the path that You have chosen for me.

I wait quietly before God, for my victory comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will never be shaken. So many enemies against one man—all of them trying to kill me. To them I'm just a broken-down wall or a tottering fence. They plan to topple me from my high position. They delight in telling lies about me. They praise me to my face but curse me in their hearts. Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will not be shaken. My victory and honor come from God alone. He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me. O my people, trust in him at all times. Pour out your heart to him, for God is our refuge. Common people are as worthless as a puff of wind, and the powerful are not what they appear to be. If you weigh them on the scales, together they are lighter than a breath of air. Don't make your living by extortion or put your hope in stealing. And if your wealth increases, don't make it the center of your life. God has spoken plainly, and I have heard it many times: Power, O God, belongs to you; unfailing love, O Lord, is yours. Surely you repay all people according to what they have done. Psalm 62:1-12

 

Meditate. Be quiet before the Lord and consider His unfailing love for you.

 

Who is pleased, delighted to tell lies about others? Obviously, David’s enemies are among that evil group of people. Don’t they…and other liars…know that that is one of the big ten law breakers? Not lying and stealing are among the Ten Commandments. False testimony is lying—and it is also a form of stealing their integrity or identity. God will punish those who lie and steal.

"You must not steal. You must not testify falsely against your neighbor.” Exodus 20:15-16

Even though as Christians we are under God’s grace, we still need to respectfully obey His commandments. David gives his people…and us…some very wise council as he tells us not to make our living by stealing or extortion…and not to let money rule our hearts. Jesus taught the same thing.  

"No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” Matthew 6:24


David’s enemies may have thought that he was like a broken-down wall, but he was actually strong with the help of the Lord and he exhibited great self-control by not revengefully attacking his enemies.

A person without self-control is like a city with broken-down walls. Proverbs 25:28

A broken-down wall allows just anyone access to our city...friend or foe. Does that relate to our self-control? How do we deal with self-control? Do you cower under stress or fly off at the handle when you are angry? Are you known for your self-control?

 

Verse of Salvation ~ He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will never be shaken. Psalm 62:2

 

Memory Verse of the Week ~ Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. Colossians 3:16

Are you singing to God as you’ve memorized this verse?

 

© 2022 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: