Sunday, January 22, 2017

Blessings Passed On

May many nations become your servants, and may they bow down to you. May you be the master over your brothers, and may your mother's sons bow down to you. All who curse you will be cursed, and all who bless you will be blessed. Genesis 27:29 
Do you pray and bless Israel and Jerusalem?
Isaac blessing Jacob with the blessing that God gave to his father Abraham when he left Haran for the Promised Land.

I will bless those who bless you and curse those who treat you with contempt. All the families on earth will be blessed through you. Genesis 12:3.

It doesn’t appear that God ever directly gave Isaac that part of the blessing. He promised to bless him…

I will cause your descendants to become as numerous as the stars of the sky, and I will give them all these lands. And through your descendants all the nations of the earth will be blessed. I will do this because Abraham listened to me and obeyed all my requirements, commands, decrees, and instructions. Genesis 26:4-5.

God continues His blessing of Jacob when Jacob is on the way to Haran, sleeping and dreaming of the stairway to Heaven.

At the top of the stairway stood the LORD, and he said, "I am the LORD, the God of your grandfather Abraham, and the God of your father, Isaac. The ground you are lying on belongs to you. I am giving it to you and your descendants. Your descendants will be as numerous as the dust of the earth! They will spread out in all directions—to the west and the east, to the north and the south. And all the families of the earth will be blessed through you and your descendants. What's more, I am with you, and I will protect you wherever you go. One day I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have finished giving you everything I have promised you." Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, "Surely the LORD is in this place, and I wasn't even aware of it!" Genesis 28:13-16.

Interestingly Jacob responds with a vow that IF God does bless him and keep him safe, then God will be his God. Are we ever in a place that we can consider “The Lord’s place” and not realize it? Do we put conditions on our relationship with God? If you take care of me and my family, you will be my God? 

Prayer ~ Lord God, open our eyes to see all creation and everything You have provided for us as... “The Lord’s Place” so that we may honor You in all that we think, see, say and do. You are our God—no matter what happens to us or where we are.

Bible Reading: January 22 – Genesis 30-31

 © 2017 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.

www.blueletterbible.org/dailyreading

No comments: