Friday, August 15, 2014

You Follow Me

You follow Me! John 21:22 

Jesus wanted Peter to follow Him—and not worry about other people. There are nineteen times that Jesus said, “Follow Me” in the Gospels (NASB). Here are a few of them:
·         And He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19
·         But Jesus said to him, "Follow Me, and allow the dead to bury their own dead." Matthew 8:22
·         Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." Matthew 19:21
·         My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me…. John 10:27
·         If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him. John 12:26
Do you feel called to “follow” Jesus? What does that mean today? We won’t be tossing away our fishing nets and trudging down dusty paths across Israel—but we could be spending time helping others like Jesus suggests…For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.' from Matthew 25:35-36. Jesus wants us to care for others just like we would show our respect and care for Him. Can we do any less? 

RSVP:  Jesus is asking you to follow Him. How will you respond to Him today? 

Prayer ~ Lord Jesus, I hear Your voice and I am following You. Show me how to serve You more deeply and honor You more fully. 

Friday’s Feast at the King’s Table
Summertime is salsa time! Here’s a recipe for a Watermelon-Cucumber Salsa that can be made into a salad if you rather have salad for lunch! 

Watermelon-Cucumber Salsa
2 cups watermelon (chopped seedless)
1 cucumber (seeded and chopped)
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives (chopped)
1 jalapeno chilies (small, seeded and minced)
2 Tbsp red onion (minced)
1 handful chopped mint leaves (about ½ cup)
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
½  tsp salt
Combine ingredients and serve over grilled meat. Particularly good over grilled fish. 

Make it into a salad for four by adding 2 cups additional watermelon and about ½ cup crumbled blue, goat or feta cheese. You can reduce or omit the jalapeno for the salad if you like it mild.

© 2014 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise noted.

No comments: