Thursday, August 14, 2014

What About the Other Guy?

Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them; the one who also had leaned back on His bosom at the supper and said, "Lord, who is the one who betrays You?" So Peter seeing him said to Jesus, "Lord, and what about this man?" Jesus said to him, "If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow Me!" John 21:20-22  

Jesus was talking to Peter—and Peter was wanting to include others in the discussion. Not Jesus. He was focused on just one person. Isn’t that how it is with us…with our children or grandchildren. We want to focus on one thing, one person…and they’ll try to distract us to get our focus on someone or something else. Stay focused. Paul wrote to the Philippians about being focused. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead….Philippians 3:13 NLT. That seems to be a theme for me lately—God is trying to teach me something. Don’t look back. Focus on what is now…and what is ahead. Don’t look back…don’t regret things that have happened in the past. Press on. Are you dealing with old issues, feelings? Is it something that happened even before you became a Christian?  

RSVP:  Jesus is telling us we need to focus. To focus on Him, on the present and the hope He has given us for the future. How will you respond to Him today? 

Prayer ~ Dear God, I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised Him from the dead. I want to suffer with Him, sharing in His death, so that one way or another I will experience the resurrection from the dead! I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us. Let all who are spiritually mature agree on these things. If they disagree on some point, I believe that You, God, will make it plain to them, as You have to me. Philippians 3:10-15 NLT

Thank you God for caring enough about me to teach me to “press on” and “don’t look back.”

© 2014 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise noted.

No comments: