Sunday, September 1, 2019

Know God Intimately

Memory Verse:
But you, O Lord, are a God of compassion and mercy, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness. Psalm 86:15

Review-Review-Review to memorize. Apply this verse to your life and you will remember it because it is part of you.
But you, O Lord,
are a God of compassion and mercy,
slow to get angry
and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness.
Psalm 86:15

When I think of God...I think of Heaven...looking to the sky.
Jesus is the Light of the World.
Know Him...Know God.
Unfailing love and faithfulness on this South Carolina beach.
Is that how you imagine God? Compassionate, merciful, slow to get mad, filled with love and faithfulness? Which of those characteristics do you admire the most? Which of those characteristics do you see in yourself? Can you attribute it to an experience that you have had with the Lord? Do you see Him at work in you…with any of those characteristics? Has He changed your life?

An example of that for me is anger. I had a bad temper as a child which I blamed on my Irish heritage. God really worked on me as an adult…especially when I was blessed with a couple of children of my own. A strong willed child can really bring out the worst in a strong willed parent—who is still a strong willed child deep inside. God was merciful to change me…cleanse my heart, mellow me out, show me love…and let that love flow through me. Without God’s love I’m not sure my kids would have turned out to be such loving parents now themselves…or even lived to see adulthood! Life is challenging—but God is good. Friends remind me all the time…God is good. All the time! I am so blessed to have a loving God…as well as family and friends that reflect His compassion, mercy, love, faithfulness, and are slow to anger. We might not be able to see God…but I know that His love is all around me. Reflected in others. Do you feel His love…His presence in your life? Look for Him. Seek Him with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. David told his son, Solomon, to seek the Lord. We should follow that same advice.
And Solomon, my son, learn to know the God of your ancestors intimately. Worship and serve him with your whole heart and a willing mind. For the LORD sees every heart and knows every plan and thought. If you seek him, you will find him. But if you forsake him, he will reject you forever. 1 Chronicles 28:9
That admonition to learn to know God intimately is key. We need that close relationship with Him. Just to know about God is not enough…we need to really KNOW Him. How do we do that? How do we get to know anyone? Spending time with them is the beginning. Spend time with God…reading His Word, thinking about what He is really saying since sometimes there are hidden messages, applying that Word to our lives and keeping in constant contact which we can do with prayer. Jesus, again our ultimate example, often went off alone to pray. Can we do anything less? Just a few minutes a day spent in God’s presence makes a big difference for me. A few minutes every hour is even better. Seek God with your whole heart and a willing mind, for God knows everything about you and wants to be part of your life. He is a God of compassion and mercy, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness. Worship and honor Him.

Prayer ~ Lord God, You are worthy of my love, respect and admiration. I worship You…a God of compassion and mercy, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness.

Daily Bible Reading: Ezekiel 18-20

© 2019 Text and photos by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - https://www.blueletterbible.org/.
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: