Sunday, May 29, 2016

Comfort the Weary

The Sovereign LORD has given me His words of wisdom, so that I know how to comfort the weary. Morning by morning He wakens me and opens my understanding to His will. Isaiah 50:4

Badger Mt Phlox
The greatest Comforter of the weary to me is Jesus, in the Holy Spirit who is known as The Comforter. Jesus promised…Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28. There is so much in life that makes us weary…jobs, kids, time conflicts, housework, commuting, traffic jams or road rage, confusion, and just unmet expectation. Life is tough. God’s wisdom in us and through us can certainly make a difference. Sometimes just a smile can be encouraging…and help those along the way who are struggling. I try to climb Badger Mountain near my home at least one a week. The elevation is 1,593 feet at the top although the Canyon Trail is only about an 800 foot ascent from the parking lot. It is pretty steep in several places and a lot of people hiking it are huffing and puffing. Giving them a “you can make it” or even just a smile of encouragement always helps those who already weary in their hike up the hillside. Even the plants seem to give an encouraging smile as we hike by them. God knows what we need.  

How can you come alongside of someone who is struggling spiritually—weary with their load? Having a verse of encouragement is a good start. This one from Jesus in Matthew 11:28 has been good for me—lifting weight off my shoulders immediately when I hear it quoted.  What verse has encouraged you? Is there a verse that the Lord brings to your mind as you wake each morning?

Prayer ~ Lord, give us ears to hear You speak to us that we would be an encouragement to the weary souls around us. May we all cast our burdens on You…knowing that You care about us more than we know. Thank You for Your mercy and grace in our lives that is new every morning.

© 2016 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.

No comments: