Friday, December 23, 2022

What Will God Do Next?

Prayer – Lord, You see everything I do…and know everything about me. You know about my enemies and my feelings. Open my eyes, heart, and soul to Your wisdom and grace. Rescue me and be gracious to me—that I would bring You glory.

A psalm of David.

Hear my prayer, O LORD; listen to my plea! Answer me because you are faithful and righteous. Don't put your servant on trial, for no one is innocent before you. My enemy has chased me. He has knocked me to the ground and forces me to live in darkness like those in the grave. I am losing all hope; I am paralyzed with fear. I remember the days of old. I ponder all your great works and think about what you have done. I lift my hands to you in prayer. I thirst for you as parched land thirsts for rain. Come quickly, LORD, and answer me, for my depression deepens. Don't turn away from me, or I will die. Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you. Rescue me from my enemies, LORD; I run to you to hide me. Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. May your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing. For the glory of your name, O LORD, preserve my life. Because of your faithfulness, bring me out of this distress. In your unfailing love, silence all my enemies and destroy all my foes, for I am your servant. Psalm 143:1-12

 

Meditate.

 

David was paralyzed with fear, losing all hope, and depressed because of his enemy who had chased him. Once again, he is praying, pleading for the Lord to help him…to rescue him…and for the Lord to teach him to do His will, and to preserve his life. Small things for the Lord to do since David trusts the Lord and wants to bring Him glory. Are our lives like that? Are you fearful, hopeless, and depressed? That seems to be pretty common now as it was throughout the time of COVID. Anxious, hopeless, and discouraged. How can we get beyond those feelings? As David wrote…God’s faithfulness will bring me out of this distress because of His unfailing love. God’s love is just that: faithful. He is faithful to those He loves…the whole world…even when they are unfaithful.

 

As Isaiah wrote in the verses in our Memory Verse for this week…For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland. Since I live in a semi-desert area with dry wasteland and wilderness areas, daily I see rivers that God has created in this area. Rivers…not just one river, but three. The great and mighty Columbia River, the Yakima River, and the Snake River. They are each great rivers for transforming the desert agricultural area into a desert oasis flourishing with plants like grapes, potatoes, corn, wheat, alfalfa, pumpkins, squash, and onions. The rivers also provide a home for salmon and other fish. Throughout Israel, God has also transformed the land into productive agriculture areas. In this passage, God has said that He is about to do something new. It will be interesting to see what He does. What will God do next?

 

Verse of Salvation ~ LORD, give me your unfailing love, the salvation that you promised me.  Psalm 119:41

 

Memory Verse of the Week ~ "But forget all that—it is nothing compared to what I am going to do. For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland." Isaiah 43:18-19

 

Friday’s Feast at the King’s Table

Most people have favorite foods that they like to eat on holidays, like turkey for Thanksgiving. What are your favorite Christmas foods?

 

If I were to poll my family, there would be several—out of our group of thirteen—that would say “sushi” since that is their favorite just about any time of the year. Others would say Christmas Cookies—and who doesn’t like a nice sugar cookie? My husband always like to have some fruitcake, so we are always on the lookout for good fruit cake and I’ll try to make some, or a batch of my Mom’s fruitcake cookies, this week. We’ve tried all different Christmas Eve menus…and this year we are going back to a favorite Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas, which is a tasty do ahead meal. We'll eat it at lunchtime so we can have a snack before we go to the Christmas Eve Candlelight Service at church. My favorite service for the whole year. 

 

Our menu for Christmas Day actually changed a couple of times and we finally settled on a family favorite that I’ve previously blogged. Santee Stew is also known as Low Country Boil. Its tasty ingredients include shrimp, crab, turkey kielbasa, corn-on-the-cob, baby red potatoes, and I’m going to add some fresh cod meat, too, this Sunday. Of course, it is good with crusty Italian bread and a simple green side salad. For dessert you could serve a nice lemon sorbet, or the traditional pumpkin and pecan pies.

 

Santee Stew

1 large onion, chopped

1 bell pepper, chopped

3 celery stalks, chopped

2 Tb. seafood seasoning

salt & pepper to taste

Turkey kielbasa - 6“ per person, cut into 1 1/2” pieces

Corn on the cob - 1/2 ear per person

Raw shrimp in the shells - ½ lb per person

Optional additions:

Fresh crab in the shell – ¼ lb per person

Fresh mussels in the shell – ¼ lb per person

Other seafood in small amounts as desired by those around the table –

large sea scallops

chunks of raw flounder, salmon or halibut  

Baby red potatoes - 1 to 2 per person or more as desired

 

Cook onion, pepper, celery, potatoes, & seasonings in enough water to cover; boil 15 minutes. Add sausage; boil 10 minutes. Add corn; boil 5-10 minutes. Add additional seafood to suit the taste of your guests, cook briefly. Add shrimp; boil 3 minutes. Remove from heat; wait 5 minutes; drain & serve with cocktail sauce for the shrimp and butter for the corn. It is a casual meal and takes time peeling the shrimp as you eat. Be sure to provide bowls for the shrimp shells and corn cobs and lots of napkins or even a small towel for each guest. 

 

Enjoy this time of Christmas preparations and Hannukah celebrations!

 

© 2022 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: