Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Let Me Escape

Prayer – Lord, I am looking for wisdom and understanding—I want to escape putting my foot in my mouth so to speak. Let me escape. Take control of what I say, O LORD, and guard my lips (Psalm 141:3).

A psalm of David. O LORD, I am calling to you. Please hurry! Listen when I cry to you for help! Accept my prayer as incense offered to you, and my upraised hands as an evening offering. Take control of what I say, O LORD, and guard my lips. Don't let me drift toward evil or take part in acts of wickedness. Don't let me share in the delicacies of those who do wrong. Let the godly strike me! It will be a kindness! If they correct me, it is soothing medicine. Don't let me refuse it. But I pray constantly against the wicked and their deeds. When their leaders are thrown down from a cliff, the wicked will listen to my words and find them true. Like rocks brought up by a plow, the bones of the wicked will lie scattered without burial. I look to you for help, O Sovereign LORD. You are my refuge; don't let them kill me. Keep me from the traps they have set for me, from the snares of those who do wrong. Let the wicked fall into their own nets, but let me escape. Psalm 141:1-10

 

Meditate.  Think about what you say.

 

David was continually praying to God for help, crying out for rescue from wicked people and their actions. He had real fear of being killed by dreadful individuals who set traps for him. That is pretty bad and David asked God to let those people fall into their own nets. Not exactly Christ like thoughts or actions. Consider what you would ask of God if you were in a similar situation. David suggested that his prayers were like incense, which was useful in the Old and New Testaments.

Only Aaron and his descendants served as priests. They presented the offerings on the altar of burnt offering and the altar of incense, and they performed all the other duties related to the Most Holy Place. They made atonement for Israel by doing everything that Moses, the servant of God, had commanded them. 1 Chronicles 6:49

 

Then another angel with a gold incense burner came and stood at the altar. And a great amount of incense was given to him to mix with the prayers of God's people as an offering on the gold altar before the throne. The smoke of the incense, mixed with the prayers of God's holy people, ascended up to God from the altar where the angel had poured them out. Revelation 8:3-4

A pleasing aroma--
like lilac in the spring.
Think about them covered with snow.
Spring isn't far off.


So, offer your prayers with a pleasant aroma like that of Christ, as Paul advised in his letter to the Ephesians. Solomon also wrote about godly escaping trouble with words. Good advice.

Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children. Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God. Ephesians 5:1-2

The wicked are trapped by their own words, but the godly escape such trouble. Proverbs 12:13

May God show us the way of escape.

  

Verse of Salvation ~ God, for whom and through whom everything was made, chose to bring many children into glory. And it was only right that he should make Jesus, through his suffering, a perfect leader, fit to bring them into their salvation. Hebrews 2:10

 

Memory Verse of the Week ~ "But forget all that—it is nothing compared to what I am going to do. For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland. Isaiah 43:18-19

 

© 2022 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: