Sunday, July 12, 2020

Take a Good Look

Meditate on just looking. What are you looking for…what are you looking at?

"At that time I pleaded with the LORD and said, 'O Sovereign LORD, you have only begun to show your greatness and the strength of your hand to me, your servant. Is there any god in heaven or on earth who can perform such great and mighty deeds as you do? Please let me cross the Jordan to see the wonderful land on the other side, the beautiful hill country and the Lebanon mountains.' But the LORD was angry with me because of you, and he would not listen to me. 'That's enough!' he declared. 'Speak of it no more. But go up to Pisgah Peak, and look over the land in every direction. Take a good look, but you may not cross the Jordan River.”Deuteronomy 3:23-27

 

Near the Jordan River headwaters.
Israel

Once again Moses was pleading as he prayed to the Lord. He so wanted to go into the Promised Land, but God was angry with him. Moses was allowed to take a good look into the Land of Milk and Honey…but not to cross the Jordan River and live in the new land.

Actually, Moses died before the Israelite entered the Promised Land (Deuteronomy 34:5), but that wasn’t the end of his relationship with God. He comes back to see Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration.

…later Jesus took Peter and the two brothers, James and John, and led them up a high mountain to be alone. As the men watched, Jesus' appearance was transformed so that his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as light. Suddenly, Moses and Elijah appeared and began talking with Jesus. Peter exclaimed, "Lord, it's wonderful for us to be here! If you want, I'll make three shelters as memorials—one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah." But even as he spoke, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy. Listen to him." ...And when they looked up, Moses and Elijah were gone, and they saw only Jesus. Matthew 17:1-5, 8

We are privileged to know God, to have God’s word to read and from which to learn about Jesus, and to receive salvation from Him. Seek to know God…to know Jesus…while there is still time. When speaking with a crowd shortly after His triumphal entry into Jerusalem Jesus said…

"My light will shine for you just a little longer. Walk in the light while you can, so the darkness will not overtake you. Those who walk in the darkness cannot see where they are going. Put your trust in the light while there is still time; then you will become children of the light." After saying these things, Jesus went away and was hidden from them. John 12:35-36

Is Jesus the light of the world for you? Are you walking in His light…or has darkness overwhelmed you? Seek Jesus with all of your heart…and you will find Him. What are you looking for in Jesus?

 

Prayer ~ Lord Jesus, I seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and knowing You will give me everything I need. I won't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today. From Matthew 6:33-34. Thank You for so generously  providing for my needs…and those of my family, friends and neighbors.

Verses of Salvation ~ Jesus shouted to the crowds, "If you trust me, you are trusting not only me, but also God who sent me. For when you see me, you are seeing the one who sent me. I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the dark. I will not judge those who hear me but don't obey me, for I have come to save the world and not to judge it. But all who reject me and my message will be judged on the day of judgment by the truth I have spoken. I don't speak on my own authority. The Father who sent me has commanded me what to say and how to say it. And I know his commands lead to eternal life; so I say whatever the Father tells me to say." John 12:44-50

 © 2020 Text, photos and paintings by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.

Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - https://w ww.blb.org 

Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

 Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character available at Amazon.com


No comments: