Thursday, March 26, 2020

The Jewish Leaders Did Not Believe…Can You?


Meditate on these words today in this Lenten Scripture:
I can do nothing on my own. I judge as God tells me. Therefore, my judgment is just, because I carry out the will of the one who sent me, not my own will. "If I were to testify on my own behalf, my testimony would not be valid. But someone else is also testifying about me, and I assure you that everything he says about me is true. In fact, you sent investigators to listen to John the Baptist, and his testimony about me was true. Of course, I have no need of human witnesses, but I say these things so you might be saved. John was like a burning and shining lamp, and you were excited for a while about his message. But I have a greater witness than John--my teachings and my miracles. The Father gave me these works to accomplish, and they prove that he sent me. And the Father who sent me has testified about me himself. You have never heard his voice or seen him face to face, and you do not have his message in your hearts, because you do not believe me--the one he sent to you. You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me! Yet you refuse to come to me to receive this life. Your approval means nothing to me, because I know you don't have God's love within you. For I have come to you in my Father's name, and you have rejected me. Yet if others come in their own name, you gladly welcome them. No wonder you can't believe! For you gladly honor each other, but you don't care about the honor that comes from the one who alone is God. Yet it isn't I who will accuse you before the Father. Moses will accuse you! Yes, Moses, in whom you put your hopes. If you really believed Moses, you would believe me, because he wrote about me. But since you don't believe what he wrote, how will you believe what I say?" John 5:30-47

Jewish Scripture in a Synagogue in Israel.
Jesus will be the judge of us all. He tells us that He will judge as God tells him to—in a just way, carrying out the will of His Father. Here He was speaking to Jewish leaders who accused Him of breaking the Sabbath rules. They refused to believe Him…or to believe in Him. We are challenged to look at Jesus’ teachings and miracles…as we search the Scriptures. Note that the Scriptures that the Jewish leaders knew were what we consider the Old Testament. Jesus, the Messiah’s birth and death were predicted in the Old Testament—but the Jewish leaders didn’t see that Jesus was the Messiah. They didn’t believe. No other religious leader has been predicted…before his birth or about his death. No Buddha, not Mohammad, nor the Mormon leaders. Only Jesus was resurrected. Yet He admitted that He could do nothing on His own. He looked to His Father for His strength and His power.

Jesus is revealed to us in the Scriptures. Just as He said and just as I believe: Jesus is the Messiah and only He provides eternal life. Not the Scriptures themselves, but Jesus Himself. He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Do you believe in Him?

Prayer ~ Lord Jesus, continue to reveal Yourself to me…and please give me wisdom and understanding as I study Your Word and seek eternal life in and through You--my Messiah.

© 2020 Text and photos by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - https://www.blb.org 
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: