Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Take Up Your Cross?


O LORD, do not stay far away! You are my strength; come quickly to my aid! Save me from the sword; spare my precious life from these dogs. Snatch me from the lion's jaws and from the horns of these wild oxen. Psalm 22:19-21


Jesus on the Cross. This Psalm is continuing to predict Jesus’ feelings as He hung on the Cross. O Lord, keep close—don’t stay far away! He is declaring that the Lord God provides His strength. Imagine the strength that Jesus needed to endure the pain of crucifixion. Save me…. Jesus had prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane…

"Abba, Father," He cried out, "everything is possible for you. Please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine." Mark 14:36.

Take the cup of suffering away—save me. But He was willing to do God’s will…not His own. So His journey continued, from the Garden to the Cross. His journey. What is our journey? Will we follow Jesus…and take up our cross?

Then, calling the crowd to join His disciples, He said, "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Good News, you will save it. And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul?" Mark 8:34-37.

Are you…or do you want to be His follower? Or is it possible that you’ll refuse?

"If you refuse to take up your cross and follow me, you are not worthy of being mine. If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give up your life for me, you will find it. Anyone who receives you receives me, and anyone who receives me receives the Father who sent me." Matthew 10:38-40.

Prayer ~ Lord Jesus, I’ll take up my cross and follow You…daily.

Daily Bible Reading: March 14 – Deuteronomy 8-10

© 2017 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.  www.blueletterbible.org/dailyreading

No comments: