Saturday, March 11, 2017

Abandoned?


My God, my God, why have you abandoned me? Why are you so far away when I groan for help? Every day I call to you, my God, but you do not answer. Every night you hear my voice, but I find no relief. Yet you are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel. Psalm 22:1-3  

Why Have You Abandoned Me?
Crucifix at Holy Family Shrine near Gretna, Nebraska, USA
David wrote Psalm 22 which has been said to prophesy Jesus’ words as He hung on the Cross. Abandoned.

At noon, darkness fell across the whole land until three o'clock. At about three o'clock, Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?"  which means "My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?" Matthew 27:45-46.

Have you ever felt abandoned and groaned for God’s help? I have. I was very distressed after my sister and her family were killed in a domestic violence episode back in 1989. My groaning was too deep for words. I felt abandoned by God…and my sister. How could God allow my sister to be taken away…when we were going to grow old together? What kind of a God was He anyway? He’s supposed to be loving. Mom taught us that “God is Love” so how could a loving God allow that to happen? After years of struggling with that I came to accept that God kept His promise to my sister and to me…He will never leave us or forsake us. Not abandoned. He promised….

No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. For I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you. Joshua 1:5

Jesus said…Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age. Matthew 28:20.

No matter what…God loves us. God is love.

We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in His love. God is love, and all who live in love live in God, and God lives in them. 1 John 4:16.

Jesus obediently took that journey to the Cross. Yet hanging there Jesus felt abandoned…but God the Father was with Him. God turned His back on the sin…not on His Son. We just have to trust Him…to keep His promise.



Prayer ~ Lord God, I understand…I know how much You love us. I put my trust in Your love. You are love, and all who live in love, live in You, and You, O my God, live in them. From 1 John 4:16. This is real love—not that we loved You, God, but that You loved us and sent your Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins. 1 John 4:10. Thank You for not abandoning Jesus…or us.

Daily Bible Reading: March 11 – Deuteronomy 1-2

© 2017 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.  www.blueletterbible.org/dailyreading.

No comments: